Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shock Absorbers

Shock Absorbers

I recently had the garage break a rear shock absorber (an additional service provided at no extra cost) and so I quickly ordered some new ones from Rimmer Bros as I was quite happy with what I thought was the standard Stag ride.

Oh dear, now I've had them fitted and the ride is awful. The car is bouncing around a lot more so I'm guessing the old ones weren't standard. This is based on the assumption that less bouncing means they were firmer. Unfortunately, the old ones were thrown away and so don't know what they were.

The ride previously was softer than a modern car and able to soak up the bumps well without wallowing around.

Does anyone know what are the best alternatives to the standard shocks to give a smoother ride?

Andy S

I'm a little confused, you say the car is now bouncing around, so you consider the previous shocks must have been firmer, but then you say the ride previously was softer than a modern car. Are you saying the car is now even softer than it was previously, or just that it is wallowing around like a Toyota Corolla? Perhaps the new shocks are simply not to the same standard as original?
    I fitted better shocks when I replaced mine, cannot remember the make but they are adjustable. DSC01026.jpg

I used to have Spax adjustables on mine for around 18 years then Favershams suggested I replace with KYB's - these I hated for quite a while but now I really like them, they soak up bumps amazingly but still keep the car reasonably firmly planted. I have no idea how they achieve it but I'd definitely fit them again.
    If you really want firmness or the ability to adjust i'd recommend the Spax adjustables.
    I know Neil (flyingFarmer)has KYB's too but with lowered springs and he seems pleased with them too.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Mike
    Mike

Thanks for coming back and sorry for the confusion.

The old shocks gave a very planted feel. They were as you say a bit like the ride from a Toyota Corolla. Good rebound control ana a nice comfortable ride over the cart tracks around my area.

The new shocks seem to have little rebound control giving a very bouncy ride. They feel much like the car did with no damper.

I know ride can be very subjective. I'm not looking for a firm and realise experimenting with shocks could prove to be very expensive business.

Andy S

Quote Originally Posted by Andy S View Post
    . They feel much like the car did with no damper.

Andy S
    Maybe the mechanic didnt attach the shocks at both ends? If it is that bouncy, it will be an MOT failure, maybe you should take it back?

I'm never going back to that garage. The leaking oil switch that started this sorry tale has started to leak again.

I haven't had a good look yet, but had a good push down on the back and I would say the shocks are fitted okay, otherwise there would be a continued bouncing.

I initially I thought the car may have been changed for towing, but you would uprate the springs as well for that. Then I thought it could be worn shocks, but they would sit lower and give an uneven softer ride (much like it is now).

No I think either the PO fitted something non-standard, or the new shocks aren't as good as the original items. An all too familiar story in the classic car world.

I don't know what the KYB's are. I'll take a look on a few of the suppliers websites.

Got my KYBs from James Paddock, other suppliers may be available.

Neil
    TV8, efi, fast road cams and home built manifolds. 246bhp 220lbft torque

Thanks Neil.

Retired, and loving it...... DJT's Avatar
    I've had these on 2 Stags and done 30 thousand miles on my current Stag with them fitted: http://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/rear-s...b-gas-a-just-2 Despite the name, they aren't adjustable, but they are fine for 'normal' driving.
    Dave
    1974 Mk2, Carmine, ZF 4HP22 Auto, 3.45 Diff, Datsun Driveshafts.

SOC Member
    Years ago I was advised that many owners fit very hard dampers and end up with the worst of all worlds. The thing to do I was told is to beef up springs first. I fitted 25% uprated springs all round on my 5, but kept the standard dampers. This worked brilliantly - compliant ride and better road holding and much reduced leaning in fast bends.

The point is, if you're going to have a professional replace the shocks, you might do better having the springs done at the same time rather than go back later. In which case you could get a perfectly matched set. Also, see if if you can scrounge a drive in a car that the owner knows to be standard and then others where they know what they have over the wheels. That way you might spend more money immediately, but you won't be shelling out for years to correct an intractable problem!