Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: bare metal respray

  1. #1
    SOC Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    MIDDLESEX
    Posts
    257

    bare metal respray

    hi any ideas how much a bare metal job would cost these days I know it will be up or down as to extra panel work etc
    just roughly
    also any one can recommend someone to do a good job and not charge £500 per hour
    cheers

  2. #2
    SOC Member richardthestag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    HS2 Wycombshire, , United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,051
    Quote Originally Posted by richard1705 View Post
    hi any ideas how much a bare metal job would cost these days I know it will be up or down as to extra panel work etc
    just roughly
    also any one can recommend someone to do a good job and not charge £500 per hour
    cheers
    when I did mine a decade ago the cost very much depended on how much I could do myself. I didnt want to pay £xx / hour for someone to strip my car down, so I did all that, got it down to a rolling shell. Then Mr Bodyshop man could do the expensive specialist stuff.

    Once he had finished I reassembled everything.

    On top of all that I was super flexible on when Mr Bodyshop man was free to work on it, This did mean the job took longer but because he fit the project in when he could we were able to agree a fixed price. He would give me a shout on Friday saying bring it up Monday and he has two days to work on it. As it turned out with the exception of a few weeks, when I chose to fit a Manual overdrive box to the car, he had space to store it in his workshop. I didnt want to take the piss so did always offer to remove it if needed.

    It is a pricey business though, lots of body shops are NOT interested in work like this when they can earn more from insurance work.

    My car needed full paint, both doors, a-posts, inner wings on all four corners, outer wheelarches on the back, replacement of half of the headlamp panel. I sourced all the bits. Biggest risk for Mr bodyshop was that he would get tied up trying to fit sh..t pattern parts. SOCTFL helped me greatly here . Headlamp panel I bought complete original factory panel from a breaker that we cannibalised .

    By the time paint was on we were bang on budget, he enjoyed the job because I didn't load pressure on him, nor was I expecting a 100point concourse job from him.

    All these ^^ things will impact how much, pretty sure I paid £2500 for the whole job from him + another £500ish in panels and bits. Now that was a bargain 10 years ago
    Last edited by richardthestag; 11th August 2017 at 16:39.
    Stags and Range Rover Classics - I must be a loony

  3. #3
    SOC Member alan_thomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Twyford, Berks, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,226
    Quote Originally Posted by richardthestag View Post
    when I did mine a decade ago the cost very much depended on how much I could do myself. I didnt want to pay £xx / hour for someone to strip my car down, so I did all that, got it down to a rolling shell. Then Mr Bodyshop man could do the expensive specialist stuff.

    Once he had finished I reassembled everything.

    On top of all that I was super flexible on when Mr Bodyshop man was free to work on it, This did mean the job took longer but because he fit the project in when he could we were able to agree a fixed price. He would give me a shout on Friday saying bring it up Monday and he has two days to work on it. As it turned out with the exception of a few weeks, when I chose to fit a Manual overdrive box to the car, he had space to store it in his workshop. I didnt want to take the piss so did always offer to remove it if needed.

    It is a pricey business though, lots of body shops are NOT interested in work like this when they can earn more from insurance work.

    My car needed full paint, both doors, a-posts, inner wings on all four corners, outer wheelarches on the back, replacement of half of the headlamp panel. I sourced all the bits. Biggest risk for Mr bodyshop was that he would get tied up trying to fit sh..t pattern parts. SOCTFL helped me greatly here . Headlamp panel I bought complete original factory panel from a breaker that we cannibalised .

    By the time paint was on we were bang on budget, he enjoyed the job because I didn't load pressure on him, nor was I expecting a 100point concourse job from him.

    All these ^^ things will impact how much, pretty sure I paid £2500 for the whole job from him + another £500ish in panels and bits. Now that was a bargain 10 years ago
    Richard I have a shell I need painting and assuming the place you used was local to you (HW) and the guy hasn't closed up shop or died of 2 pack poisoning I would be interested in their contact details.
    I think you could add another 10K to the figure you mentioned for that amount of work these days!
    - Alan

  4. #4
    vented disc member new to this's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stag mk2 manual overdrive harrow middlesex, , United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,086

    Richard

    I would think your looking at 3-5k depends on how much work they have to do,at the moment mine is stripped and a light coat of etich primer on while im working on it,i stripped mine with angle grinder and wire wheel.

    Dave

    73 mk1.5 originally mimosa now gone to the dark side Delft Blue 73 white soon to be blue

  5. #5
    SOC Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    MIDDLESEX
    Posts
    257
    hi dave have you got a good bodyshop guy in mind

  6. #6
    SOC Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    MIDDLESEX
    Posts
    257
    thanks for the replies by the way Thomas /rich

  7. #7
    vented disc member new to this's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stag mk2 manual overdrive harrow middlesex, , United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,086
    Quote Originally Posted by richard1705 View Post
    hi dave have you got a good bodyshop guy in mind
    Im going to get Martin Thadioes spray mine,hes got to spray the sprint first
    73 mk1.5 originally mimosa now gone to the dark side Delft Blue 73 white soon to be blue

  8. #8
    SOC Member stagstan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Worcs.TV8,Red,MOD,Minilite copies,Weber,Spax,Mercedes header tank
    Posts
    4,534
    Got to be looking at £5k I think
    It's not orange it's red! (It's brighter now though)

  9. #9
    SOC Member Goldstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Henley on Thames
    Posts
    2,444
    I'm going to teach myself. How hard can it be?

  10. #10
    SOC Member KOY 23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Mk 2 E.Sussex. United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,775
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar View Post
    I'm going to teach myself. How hard can it be?
    Jeff can do it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •