Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: bare metal respray

  1. #11
    SOC Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Aylesbury
    Posts
    609
    The really skilled part is getting it all smooth. That is also the hard grind. When we did my TR6 20 years ago, I helped when my friend had got the car to primer and guide coat stage. It took us two days to rub down by hand and fill in the odd low spot and re prep.

    The following day he put the paint on in about two hours.

  2. #12
    SOC Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Culverstone.Kent, ,
    Posts
    394
    i went on a vehicle body restoration course, many years ago...The instructor was Brian Dunbar (i think) he was at that time in Practical classics magazine showing how to do bodywork , a great instructor. he showed us how to do everything and we were able to bring in panels and work on them under his supervision. so from there i restored a Beetle then my Stag . i have just finished a complete body restoration and paintwork of my TR6. This needs assembling now.....back to your question ...its all about time and patience ,
    and time and patience ! its slow work rubbing down ,filling shaping etc but so rewarding when done. i did buy an air fed mask and all associated filters as i used 2k paint.
    My end result in my opinion is a better job than a lot of bodyshops work due to no time restraints,...when its all back together i will await other opinions on the quality of my work !
    Len


    this was a reply to Goldstar "how hard can it be ...."
    Last edited by len; 12th August 2017 at 09:25.

  3. #13
    Taking it slow in 2017 mole42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by TR5convalescent View Post
    The really skilled part is getting it all smooth. That is also the hard grind. When we did my TR6 20 years ago, I helped when my friend had got the car to primer and guide coat stage. It took us two days to rub down by hand and fill in the odd low spot and re prep.
    I couldn't agree more. Getting the panels truly the correct shape takes a lot of time, high-build primer and rattle-can primer! Thank god we don't have to use lead-loading any more.
    Mabel is a white 1972 Mk1, TV8, ZF 4HP-22 auto,
    2016 RBRR finisher.

  4. #14
    SOC Member Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sonning Common, South Oxfordshire., , United Kingdom
    Posts
    6,012
    Quote Originally Posted by KOY 23 View Post
    Jeff can do it
    Oi!
    They are out there and unfortunately they walk amongst us - beware!

  5. #15
    SOC Member richardthestag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    HS2 Wycombshire, , United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldstar View Post
    I'm going to teach myself. How hard can it be?
    I have painted a few cars and learned from the mistakes.

    prep, prep, prep and then prep some more seemed to be the trick.

    But this was back in the 1980s and filla technology has improved immeasurably for helping provide a perfect smooth finish

    when painting sweep for dust, water the floor, sweep again, and again, and again, and then once more for luck. Tape plastic sheet over the walls, an old cheapo gazebo worked quite well as an impromptu spray booth.

    then when you have done all of that get decent gun and filters, be meticulous with quantities, make sure the weather is perfect or the conditions in your spray booth are warm but not hot, no moisture etc etc, suit and mask up and lay on just enough paint so it doesnt sag or run. and crack on with it.

    Laying the paint on is the quickest bit of the job by far.

    Then when finished, think sod that I am going to let a pro do it next time
    Stags and Range Rover Classics - I must be a loony

  6. #16
    SOC Member Goldstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Henley on Thames
    Posts
    2,444
    Thanks Len. It just seems one of those jobs worth learning if the alternative is 5k plus to someone else.

    I don't believe Jeff can do it John, never seen him in action.

  7. #17
    SOC Member kev100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Halesowen
    Posts
    495
    If your going to do it yourself .. might be worth doing it in the right environment when it comes to laying the paint on

    http://ramp-it-up.co.uk/spray-booth-hire/

    http://www.thepaintshoppros.co.uk/st...ay-booth-hire/

  8. #18
    Taking it slow in 2017 mole42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    1,820
    Quote Originally Posted by kev100 View Post
    If your going to do it yourself .. might be worth doing it in the right environment when it comes to laying the paint on

    http://ramp-it-up.co.uk/spray-booth-hire/
    Ramp-It-Up have gone away, closed and locked since January :-(
    Mabel is a white 1972 Mk1, TV8, ZF 4HP-22 auto,
    2016 RBRR finisher.

  9. #19
    SOC Member kev100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Halesowen
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by mole42 View Post
    Ramp-It-Up have gone away, closed and locked since January :-(
    correct .. didn't know that, they are looking to re-open elsewhere though at some point according to their website

    http://ramp-it-up.co.uk/home/

  10. #20
    vented disc member new to this's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stag mk2 manual overdrive harrow middlesex, , United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,086
    Quote Originally Posted by len View Post
    i went on a vehicle body restoration course, many years ago...The instructor was Brian Dunbar (i think) he was at that time in Practical classics magazine showing how to do bodywork , a great instructor. he showed us how to do everything and we were able to bring in panels and work on them under his supervision. so from there i restored a Beetle then my Stag . i have just finished a complete body restoration and paintwork of my TR6. This needs assembling now.....back to your question ...its all about time and patience ,
    and time and patience ! its slow work rubbing down ,filling shaping etc but so rewarding when done. i did buy an air fed mask and all associated filters as i used 2k paint.
    My end result in my opinion is a better job than a lot of bodyshops work due to no time restraints,...when its all back together i will await other opinions on the quality of my work !
    Len


    this was a reply to Goldstar "how hard can it be ...."
    I also went on one of those vehicle restoration courses,they were good courses dont think they do them any more,very handy being able to bring a car in and use there spray booths
    73 mk1.5 originally mimosa now gone to the dark side Delft Blue 73 white soon to be blue

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •