Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starter clicking

Quote Originally Posted by 72BLUE View Post
    The usual 'culprit' connector is just under the bulkhead close to where the fuel pipe comes into the engine bay. On a manual car some of the wires there are surplus, there is loop that can be removed. On an auto-box car, the loop is not a loop and the wiring is used for the inhibitor switch IIRC.

When you have found the connector, clean up the pins and sockets and put some of this stuff on them:

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/contralub...g-sachet-n78dd

I would also clean the 2 starter motor wire connections and put some 770 on them.

Cheers
    Keith
    Nice one Keith, I will give that a try. Cheers Mark

SOC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by markmark2 View Post
    Nice one Keith, I will give that a try. Cheers Mark
    Had exactly the same problem and found I was only getting 9volts at the starter solenoid it proved to be the afore mentioned connector on the bulkhead---cleaned the pins/sockets which improved it but only lasted a couple of weeks so fitted a relay which I proved would still pull in as low as 6volts and have had no more trouble-----as a belt and braces also spliced a fly wire to the solenoid-long enough to reach the battery as a back up in case it lets me down

Quote Originally Posted by rac View Post
    Had exactly the same problem and found I was only getting 9volts at the starter solenoid it proved to be the afore mentioned connector on the bulkhead---cleaned the pins/sockets which improved it but only lasted a couple of weeks so fitted a relay which I proved would still pull in as low as 6volts and have had no more trouble-----as a belt and braces also spliced a fly wire to the solenoid-long enough to reach the battery as a back up in case it lets me down
    Thanks Rac. Mark

I had click nothings for decades.
    Fitted extra earth leads, relay bypass circuits, new battery etc etc.
    Sometimes no problem at all, sometimes as much as 100 clicks before it would turnover.
    It came to a head this year when it was to be a wedding car for my sister, so I bought and fitted a wosp high torque starter
    It has been perfect ever since, so a fault with the original starter solenoid. Yes they can be repaired/reconditioned, but even that did not solve the problem in my case, so 100% new was the only solution for me.
    They do sound different though for sure, but can live with that for the reliability.
    Mike.
    74 Triumph Stag (Best Modified 2007), 02 Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa.

SOC Member
    I had this or similar problem, starter would click a couple of times and then start, suddenly it went to about 20 clicks before starting as I was about to call the breakdown service. I removed the solenoid from the starter and stripped it, but Russ (Kryton) told me I would have to remove the starter as well to be able to reconnect solenoid to starter motor. I successfully removed the starter and Russ showed me how to connect the two together. Getting the top bolt back in was a b*****r. However I still got a couple of clicks before starting, so decided to order a new solenoid, arrived and fitted next day and now starts first turn of the key every time. There is a thread which details how to remove top starter bolt, but I never found a thread as to how to put that bolt back in. Good luck
    Mac

Quote Originally Posted by macstag1 View Post
    I had this or similar problem, starter would click a couple of times and then start, suddenly it went to about 20 clicks before starting as I was about to call the breakdown service. I removed the solenoid from the starter and stripped it, but Russ (Kryton) told me I would have to remove the starter as well to be able to reconnect solenoid to starter motor. I successfully removed the starter and Russ showed me how to connect the two together. Getting the top bolt back in was a b*****r. However I still got a couple of clicks before starting, so decided to order a new solenoid, arrived and fitted next day and now starts first turn of the key every time. There is a thread which details how to remove top starter bolt, but I never found a thread as to how to put that bolt back in. Good luck
    Mac
    Thanks Mac and everybody else for the detailed info. It seems that this is a common issue. Just to confirm then, is this a starter fault/solenoid fault or wiring or ignition switch or a combination of all three. It would seem removal/refurb isnt the answer so is replacement the considered option? Thanks to all again.

SOC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by markmark2 View Post
    Thanks Mac and everybody else for the detailed info. It seems that this is a common issue. Just to confirm then, is this a starter fault/solenoid fault or wiring or ignition switch or a combination of all three. It would seem removal/refurb isnt the answer so is replacement the considered option? Thanks to all again.
    I think the way to go is eliminate Mark -the easiest to do is the wiring/ignition side first then if no improvement it looks like the solenoid itself or starter--not so easy to do unfortunately----good luck.

Retired, and loving it...... DJT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rac View Post
    I think the way to go is eliminate Mark.
    Bloody hell! That's a bit severe, he only asked a question........
    Dave
    1974 Mk2, Carmine, ZF 4HP22 Auto, 3.45 Diff, Datsun Driveshafts.

Sonning Common, South Oxfordshire., , United Kingdom
    Hi mark,

Pretty sure it's not the starter motor so would go by all the above responses.

Jeff.
    They are out there and unfortunately they walk amongst us - beware!

Quote Originally Posted by 72BLUE View Post
    The usual 'culprit' connector is just under the bulkhead close to where the fuel pipe comes into the engine bay. On a manual car some of the wires there are surplus, there is loop that can be removed. On an auto-box car, the loop is not a loop and the wiring is used for the inhibitor switch IIRC.

When you have found the connector, clean up the pins and sockets and put some of this stuff on them:

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/contralub...g-sachet-n78dd

I would also clean the 2 starter motor wire connections and put some 770 on them.

Cheers
    Keith
    It is the connector mentioned by keith. Would like to replace but did not see where to buy it.