Comparison of Stag and Porsche 928 Engine bay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comparison of Stag and Porsche 928 Engine bay

I have two cars without engine in my garage, and today I took a couple of simple measurements to see if it was entirely possible to swap the engines around. I noted the dimensions on a paper and photographed it so look at the pictures of you are interested. The engine bay of the Stag is in fact wider than the 928, but a bit lower and shorter. The 928 engine block is quite a bit longer. The sump of the 928 is forward of the crossmember, I think the best option here would be to modify the pickup and sump.

Will it work? I am not sure. The steering rack is higher than the crossmember also, so height might be a problem. Lenghtwise you would probably have to move the radiator forwards and use an electric fan. 928 has the gearbox in the rear, so a adapter would need to be fabricated to match the gearbox.

The basic 928 engine is 4.5L 2V and 240hp with K-jetronic. "S" is the same engine but 4,7L and 300hp. They are wery well built, able to run 500K kms or more before needing new rings and off you go.

And no, I am not planning to swap, just giving information out!

Stag and Porsche 928 Porsche 928 engine bay Stag engine bay
    Last edited by Ian928; 10th January 2019, 14:27.
    Kirsti & Ian in Norway
    1973 Stag Mk2 (ex-USA), Mallard Blue, TV8 engine, Manual O/D

I was only allowed to upload 5 pictures per post, so here comes the last one
    Kirsti & Ian in Norway
    1973 Stag Mk2 (ex-USA), Mallard Blue, TV8 engine, Manual O/D

Comment

Thanks for sharing Ian, certainly some food for thought!
      1975 Triumph Stag - TV8 & MOD. Still in sickbay...

Managing Linkedin groups Triumph Car Owners and Enthusiasts & Triumph Nederland

Comment

Working...
      X