Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car running hot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Car running hot


    Been out today in my brothers car,the temp gauge got to just before the red,stayed there,checked for leaks none found,radiator is okay full fan blade is okay,turned heater on just in case air lock,still no change to temp gauge,would it be because its a hot day,only other thing i can think of is could it be a faulty temp sender

    Any ideas thanks Dave
    73 mk1.5 originally mimosa now gone to the dark side Delft Blue 73 white soon to be blue

    #2
    Originally posted by new to this View Post

    Been out today in my brothers car,the temp gauge got to just before the red,stayed there,checked for leaks none found,radiator is okay full fan blade is okay,turned heater on just in case air lock,still no change to temp gauge,would it be because its a hot day,only other thing i can think of is could it be a faulty temp sender
    Any ideas thanks Dave
    Shouldn't be the weather - I regularly drive mine with temperatures in the high 30s, 40s, even when it has touched 50 degrees Celsius one day last August.
    ****************************************sigpic*************************************

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by new to this View Post

      Been out today in my brothers car,the temp gauge got to just before the red,stayed there,checked for leaks none found,radiator is okay full fan blade is okay,turned heater on just in case air lock,still no change to temp gauge,would it be because its a hot day,only other thing i can think of is could it be a faulty temp sender

      Any ideas thanks Dave
      Assume your brothers car is a Stag?

      H

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by HersnotHis View Post
        Assume your brothers car is a Stag?

        H

        H

        Yes it is a stag

        Dave
        73 mk1.5 originally mimosa now gone to the dark side Delft Blue 73 white soon to be blue

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Tdm View Post
          Shouldn't be the weather - I regularly drive mine with temperatures in the high 30s, 40s, even when it has touched 50 degrees Celsius one day last August.

          Terry

          Thanks his car never normally runs hot,so looks like some thing must be wrong

          Thanks dave
          73 mk1.5 originally mimosa now gone to the dark side Delft Blue 73 white soon to be blue

          Comment


            #6
            Instrument voltage stabiliser? Is the fuel gauge being a bit optimistic too?

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by kryten View Post
              Instrument voltage stabiliser? Is the fuel gauge being a bit optimistic too?

              Russ

              No fuel gauge is normal,would i be right thinking faulty temp sender ?

              Thanks dave
              73 mk1.5 originally mimosa now gone to the dark side Delft Blue 73 white soon to be blue

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by new to this View Post

                Russ

                No fuel gauge is normal,would i be right thinking faulty temp sender ?

                Thanks dave
                Buy the one from LD Parts, as it is the correct one - only £7 so worth trying this first. food to see you yesterday Dave.

                Cheers...Al

                P.S Don't drive it so fast!!
                1975 Mk2 3.0 V8 MOD, new strommies, tubulars & quad exhaust = 166.8 bhp

                Comment


                  #9
                  Given the heat yesterday, I'd wait until the weather cools down a bit, take it for a run then and see if it behaves as normal. If it does, then it was the heat yesterday that did it. Mine was running a touch warmer than usual yesterday.

                  If the temp was significantly higher then it is likely to be something else.

                  Rgds

                  Dave
                  http://www.stagwiki.com | http://parts.stagwiki.com (Under Development)

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Mine runs normal in this heat.
                    I only do what the voices in my wife’s head tell me to do!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I should add, other than a EJ Wards more efficient rad, my cooling system is totally standard - no back up electric fan or header tank.

                      Rgds

                      Dave
                      http://www.stagwiki.com | http://parts.stagwiki.com (Under Development)

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Misconception regarding header tanks.

                        They do not assist with cooling, just give a better method of checking level and a bit of safety if level drops if a light and/or buzzer fitted.
                        I only do what the voices in my wife’s head tell me to do!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          You spotted my deliberate mistake!

                          (I was just emphasising that my cooling system was pretty much standard really).

                          Rgds

                          Dave
                          http://www.stagwiki.com | http://parts.stagwiki.com (Under Development)

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I didn't Dave, I was referring to an earlier post on another thread.
                            I only do what the voices in my wife’s head tell me to do!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              http://www.stagwiki.com | http://parts.stagwiki.com (Under Development)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X