Replacement Heater Valve

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement Heater Valve

Has anyone else found the replacement brass heater valves from the usual suppliers do not fit? I decided to take the plunge and replace my seized one, but after successfully removing it with Tony Hart’s brilliant tool, the new one simply does not go in. Perhaps it could be persuaded with a hammer, but that would be fairly silly.

I don’’’t have a micrometer handy to see what the difference is, but a side by side comparison shows a less-beveled nose at the very least.

Jeff
    Last edited by JeffW; 11th February 2018, 19:46.

Jeff, what about a clean up of the old and a new 'o' ring??

Comment

What he said ^^^^
      Paul - 3 projects, 1 breaker - garage built and housing 2 white Stags. One runs, one doesn't

Comment

what he said ^^ about what he said ^^^^
        Stags and Range Rover Classics - I must be a loony

Comment

Thanks all. I used the new rubber seal from the new part and put the old valvle back in, however it wasn't really the point of my question. It was about whether others had found the new part to be poorly manufactured.

Thanks

Jeff

Comment

Good result - I guess the lack of answers probably means not many have tried it Jeff
            Paul - 3 projects, 1 breaker - garage built and housing 2 white Stags. One runs, one doesn't

Comment

I would send it back asking for a refund. The suppliers need to be told that the part is not fit for purpose, they might hopefully check their stock to make sure that the others they have are the correct size.
              Mabel is a white 1972 Mk1½, TV8, ZF 4HP-22 auto,
              2016 RBRR finisher. 400 mile C2C 21/22 April 2018!

Comment

Jeff.
                Remanufactured ones that fitted used to be available, but it seems from your experience that the latest supplier has had them made incorrectly. As part of the drive to try and improve the quality of spare parts sold us, I hope you will be returning it for a refund, and telling them why.
                Mike.

Comment

Thanks all for the answers. Will return and advise them to check their stock. I also heard from another member that he had to file his down with a Dremel to make it fit (bought from another supplier), which I think is ridiculous as well.

Importantly though even with the new seal and lots of white grease the old one is still very stiff. May just have to leave it open and use the vent opening as the control.

Thanks again for all the advice

Jeff
                  Last edited by JeffW; 12th February 2018, 17:25.

Comment

When I did mine the original valve was still very tight after cleaning up both valve and housing.
                    It took some work with wet & dry to get it to move freely.

Pete

Comment

Thanks Pete, better get myself some wet & dry sandpaper and pull it out again. And this is before I try and fix the cable, which from what I have seen and read is a right nightmare.
                      Last edited by JeffW; 13th February 2018, 09:51.

Comment

I found the new valve needed to be turned down to fit.
                        I mentioned it to the supplier, with the size difference information.
                        They refunded the cost.
                        Sorry for delay in reply.

imho its not unusual to have to make parts fit....its good if its possible, its great if the supplier refunds as well.
                        Last edited by jbuckl; 13th February 2018, 09:47.
                        There are 2 secrets to staying on top :- 1. Don't give everything away.

Comment

Originally posted by jbuckl View Post
                          I found the new valve needed to be turned down to fit.
                          I mentioned it to the supplier, with the size difference information.
                          They refunded the cost.
                          Sorry for delay in reply.

imho its not unusual to have to make parts fit....its good if its possible, its great if the supplier refunds as well.
                          Thanks Jbuckl, good to know it wasn't just me. I am waiting to hear from the supplier.

Comment

Working...
                          X