Stag without rolbar

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stag without rolbar

In the Netherlands there is a Stag for sale with a modification I havenít seen before. The seller completly removed the t-bar and the b-pillars. It looks like the original Michelloti design. I like it. But it is not a Stag anymore. Thats a pity. Judge for yourself. See the pictures. Donít say a word about the rims. They are ugly in my opinion.
    Cheers Alex
    Triumph stag, a way of living.

interesting. also removed the window frames, clean look, but I agree not a stag

Stag with b post and rollbar is quite a tight car for a convertible. very little skuttleshake etc

I wonder what reinforcement this one has to replicate. or maybe it rattles like a tin of marbles rolling down a cobblestone road

I wonder also how they modified the hood with the extra 4" of missing b - post + sealing around the door window glass
    Stags and Range Rover Classics - I must be a loony

Comment

I found a website from the owner. http://triumphstag.nl/TriumphStag/Triumph_Stag.html He made a reinforcement to the underside. He says it is strong enough to support the weight. Concerning the roof. I think he made the b posts removable. See the pictures. And see the similarities with Michelottiís original design.

Comment

It looks good, much cleaner lines. I would worry about itís rigidity tho
        It's not orange it's red! (It's brighter now though)

Comment

It looks not bad at all, different at least. Would be interesting to see it in real life sitting next to a standard Stag.
          1975 Triumph Stag - TV8 & MOD. Still in sickbay...

Managing Linkedin groups Triumph Car Owners and Enthusiasts & Triumph Nederland

Comment

If it is strong enough underneath I quite like the idea of it as a one off, would look the part on 14" steel rims and painted battleship grey

Not so sure though about impact protection, but I guess dont crash it is the answer there

Comment

"Not so sure though about impact protection, but I guess dont crash it is the answer there"

Err... don't roll it either, and agreeing in hope that a T bone doesn't lozenge the passenger compartment allowing sidewards intrusion, more people killed that way than rolling it.... No the windscreen frame won't save you it will be flat.

Micky

Comment

He must have put some pretty heavy beams underneath or a clever frame design. Would like to see it.
                Carbs suck.

Comment

I like the look of it but have major reservations as to the strength.
                  Google translate of the website: Stag with original V8, automatic, in 1976, just 60,000 real km, to your own discretion changes made, including T bar, window styles, rims and tires, seats (seats) 40mm lowered, small for spoilertje, most "suspension" rubbers replaced for polyurethane, new discs, blocks of armored brake lines, rear shoes, main brake cylinder, reinforced coolant hoses, it is fairly rust-free sure nowhere rotten.
                  Because I have had to restore the bottom (invisibly done) he has become so firm by the use of thicker plate that I have been able to change the T bar without any problems. As the photo shows, the piece is removed to the windshield, which in combination with the cut-off window styles give a much nicer cabrio effect.
                  Because of the wide and flat tires he sticks to the road in the bend.
                  And now the entire rollbar is cut off, now we finally have a real convertible, and it has also become much nicer !!

Comment

I am with you on the strength.

anyone doubts how much work would need to be done, remove the two bolts securing the t bar to the top of the b post. drive the car 100ft and then try refit them.

I have seen t-boned stag on here maybe but a long time ago, it was not pretty but a survivable accident. I full expect that the t-bar would have taken a lot of stress in than incident.

Then look at something like the ubiquitous MX5, no t-bar and nor are there thousands of stories concerning design failings.

I do worry though that when triumph built the car they would have not added weight and strength like happened in the 50s and early 60s when monocoque design was in infancy. it would have been designed especially in B post area to accommodate the t bar

Comment

The question is .. if this was done in the UK, would it still be classed as roadworthy .. I am sure there would have to be a test it would have to go through .. and I am sure the insurance companies wouldn't be convinced ..

Comment

In the Netherlands this isnít allowed also. But as long you donít get involved in an accident nobody knows. The yearly mot is no problem because they donít know how the car originaly is. I feel sorry for the persoon who wil buy it. It looks nice but it has become a dangerous car. Wich is not road legal to the dutch legislation. If the insurance get to know it it would be banned.
                        Last edited by vivacetenore; 15th April 2018, 15:58.

Comment

The contribution of the T-bar (roof member) should not be underestimated. The very detailed article "Triumph Stag" in the magazin "Automobile Engineer" from July 1970 give some figures about the bodie's torsional stiffness: 4400 lbf ft/deg with the T-bar and only 3040 without (pic1). The tests have been carried out during the development with very stiff double wall sills (pic2) wich did not go into production So the T-bar effect is higher and can be estimated in the range of 50% of the torsional stiffness.

Klaus

Roof member T-bar 2.jpgK1600_Roof member T-bar 1.JPG

Comment

interesting post, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by richardthestag View Post
                              interesting post, thanks
                              No, it's an awful post, as it's reminded me I'm supposed to be translating that complete article into German for the TSCD since some years!
                              If you can't say something nice, don't say it !

Comment

Working...
                              X