Replacement exhaust options ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement exhaust options ?

Hi I'm contemplating replacing the exhaust on my '76 auto (BW35) Stag which unless something is custom made locally means shipping it from the UK - it seems.

So my question, other than the grade of stainless used, small or big bore tail pipes and getting the right configuration for my car is whether is there actually any difference between the products supplied by the various UK suppliers ?

(If I go ahead i will probably grab some headers - which are all the same ??)

Thanks Julian

If you type in new exhaust required in the search box at top of page you will find 2 manufactures one whom makes the exhaust manifolds and another whom makes the rest of the system.

Cheers Glenn

Comment

There are about three different manufacturers, you pays you money and takes your choice, none of them have the heat shield as original, the best was Bell Fabrications, they make the straight through sports boxes for me, with the heat shield, but they will now only make systems in batches of five minimum, also be careful with headers, there was a problem fitting them to LHD Stags and RHD still need to be modified to make them fit, that's why I don't sell them anymore.

Tony.

Comment

Hi Tony, where was the heat shield? I have a new Double S system which isn't yet fitted and I might modify it.
        Mabel is a white 1972 Mk1, TV8, ZF 4HP-22 auto,
        2016 RBRR finisher. 400 mile C2C 21/22 April 2018!

Comment

Originally posted by mole42 View Post
          Hi Tony, where was the heat shield? I have a new Double S system which isn't yet fitted and I might modify it.
          The heat shields are on the exhaust boxes, see the photos on my Ebay listing https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-S...item5207a99edc

Tony.

Comment

Thanks Tony. I feel that some stainless folding and MIG welding is likely to happen in my garage. No doubt I will invalidate the DoubleS warranty!
            Mabel is a white 1972 Mk1, TV8, ZF 4HP-22 auto,
            2016 RBRR finisher. 400 mile C2C 21/22 April 2018!

Comment

Originally posted by tonyh View Post
              There are about three different manufacturers, you pays you money and takes your choice, none of them have the heat shield as original, the best was Bell Fabrications, they make the straight through sports boxes for me, with the heat shield, but they will now only make systems in batches of five minimum, also be careful with headers, there was a problem fitting them to LHD Stags and RHD still need to be modified to make them fit, that's why I don't sell them anymore.

Tony.
              Tony,

I bought stainless headers direct from Phoenix (I live 10 miles from the factory) back in October 2014 and they fitted my RHD Mk2 without alteration.
              Dave
              1974 Mk2, ZF Auto, 3.45 Diff, Datsun Driveshafts. Stag owner/maintainer since 1989.

Comment

Thanks gents, much appreciate the advice and insight.

Comment

I made up my own exhaust system for my RV8 which has Monarch headers fitted. I had a hydraulic pipe bender which was hard pressed to achieve acceptable bends on the SS tube I used. On tighter bends I found it easier to use performed bends cut and pieces together to required alignment.
                  For your information, which might help you with your design, I have 2, 20" boxes, one on each bank and these are not really enough to silence the car. It idles at 8 7.5 Dcbls and put out 107.5 at 3500rpm so it needs a pair of rear boxes which it will get eventually.

John
                  Your wife is right, size matters. 3.9RV8

Comment

Working...
                  X