Stag Carburretor Choices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tdm View Post

Both the Starter motor & solenoid were new when I bought them, but once every few months nothing happens when I turn the ignition key.
    I wonder if one of the teeth on the flywheel is worn, and doesn't make a proper connection with the starter when that tooth is the one that aligns with the teeth on the Starter motor. I have just got used to it happening every now and again, and is why I carry a crow bar in my boot for such occasions.

If it was a tooth there would be a whirring sound as the starter spins, but doesn't engage with the flywheel. If theres a "click" or " clunk"then solenoid may be actuating but not closing the power to the motor, if nothing then most likely is the power from the ignition (check that plug that goes to the gearbox, plus inhibit switch if auto) but as a technical tap clears it then I would go to the solenoid.

Terry

Best wishes to your wife..
    Last edited by trunt; 20th December 2018, 15:08.
    Terry Hunt, Wilmington Delaware

www.terryhunt.co.uk

Comment

Hello Terry,

Just a note to say I really hope your wife is ok for the flight to the UK and onwards, sounds like she's had a rather unfair share of ill health..

On the oil leak, I doubt very much its carb related as you have to be pushing the engine quite hard to induce the sort of pressure needed to push it past seals etc., Also, as I think you've connected the pipe from the catch tank into the air filter this further minimises the vacuum effect that pulls the oil out of the cam cover.

This I think is why when Tony Hart fitted Holley's he used the same connection route (with no catch tank) and not the one on the carb designated for the PCV inlet.

All the best,

​​​​​​​Mike
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mike@thenook View Post
        Hello Terry,

Just a note to say I really hope your wife is ok for the flight to the UK and onwards, sounds like she's had a rather unfair share of ill health..

On the oil leak, I doubt very much its carb related as you have to be pushing the engine quite hard to induce the sort of pressure needed to push it past seals etc., Also, as I think you've connected the pipe from the catch tank into the air filter this further minimises the vacuum effect that pulls the oil out of the cam cover.
        This I think is why when Tony Hart fitted Holley's he used the same connection route (with no catch tank) and not the one on the carb designated for the PCV inlet.
        All the best,
        ​​​​​​​Mike
        I think it's pure coincidence that the new oil leak happened just shortly after fitting the Weber, but I don't know.
        Not heard anything from the garage yet, and after tomorrow they close for the Xmas period, so hope to hear tomorrow.

At the garage when we ran the engine for a short while it didn't leak at all, seems to be only leaking when it is switched off which seems a bit strange to me. The Canarian V8 engine "expert" there also seemed to question the need for the catch tank on the car.

My Stag never fails to surprise me in all sorts of different ways, but I would never part with it unless they tell me I can't drive anymore. (have to have another (indoor) driving test in February to renew my License). Tomorrow is another day, and will have to see what news it brings, in terms of the Stag, and whether we can Fly or not?

Life is never dull is it!?

Terry (based Los Cristianos, Tenerife) ~~ (YouTube sitename - Tenerife Terry)

Comment

Garage who have my Stag have just text'd to say they have found a few leaks at the bottom end when it was upon the ramp today, and said to leave the car with them to hopefully fix them.

At the Doctor's this morning Maureen got the O.K. to fly, so we are off to the U.K., then afterwards the Far East this Sunday.

In this mornings post the oil catch tank that went missing at first has now turned up, so now I have a spare if I don't return it.

The garage haven't said whether the leak(s) are a major or a minor problem, as they have only just looked at the car, so won't know how they get on till get back in the New Year. They are closing tonight for the holiday period and will keep the Stag locked up inside until they re-open in January, which won't be till after the 6th of January as that is the Canarian equivalent of our Xmas Day (3 Kings Day).

Still have an outstanding family problem that needs addressing in the North of England yet though, so not all good news, but some good news is better than none, and I think getting away for a couple of weeks will be good for the misses because she has been seriously upset by recent family events, as well as being not very well, and I am thinking positive that my Stag will be good to drive when I get back.

Comment

Good to hear you are both able to fly, so enjoy the holiday and forget about the oil leaks for now - they won't be serious anyway!

All the best,
            Mike

Comment

A few hours now and will be off on my travels - so no more posts from me for a while on the status of my Stag and it's new Weber.
              Due back 2nd week in January, when I will be contacting the Garage who currently have my Stag to see if they have fixed all the oil leaks.
              All the best to everyone - bye for now.
              9ec1bd8c-9614-439f-b9f8-eec555c4c259-original.jpg?width=590&height=370&fit=bounds.jpg

Comment

Just got back home, and as stated in another Thread will going to pick my Stag up tomorrow from the Garage where I had left it to sort out why it was now losing an excessive amount of oil (they say it is fixed) so will find out whether the problem was anything to do with the recently fitted Weber Carburretor or not and report back. No Stags seen on my travels to the Far East, just a lot of new Japanese models (mostly SUVs), and in Malaysia "Protons" as that is where they are made.

Comment

Just fit a Weber with the catchtank, easy to do, had mine for a few years now no problems.

Comment

If you read back here Richard you’ll see that this is exactly what Terry has done
                    Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mike@thenook View Post
                      If you read back here Richard you’ll see that this is exactly what Terry has done
                      oops must keep up better:

Comment

Lost track of what day it is being away, and there being up to an 8 hour hour time difference, and as it is now Saturday, the Garage who have my Stag close for the whole weekend, so it will now be Monday before I get it back, and find out the cause of the excessive oil loss. Shame as I was looking forward to driving it again having got back home, but it will give me time to catch up on other things (like opening Xmas presents). Will make a new post on what I find out the cause of the oil loss next week.

One the presents my Son sent me was this nice little display of Triumph models :-

3c96d6df-aeda-4c8f-b7fd-cd77edecad57-original.jpg?width=590&height=370&fit=bounds.jpg

Comment

Just been to get my Stag back from the Garage who have had since just before we went away in the middle of December.
                          They said they had fixed the oil leak, which was they said caused because the breathing system was wrong, and they have re-routed some of the pipe work, and also tuned the new Weber as they said it wasn't quite right, although not far out. Driving it home it ran really well, and they asked me to keep an eye on the underneath to see that it doesn't leak excessively again.

Apparently (according to the English Garage Boss), the mechanic who worked on the car has fallen in love with it, and wouldn't let anyone else drive it when they parked it outside during the day, then brought it in each night (only a small Garage and they needed the space to work on other cars during the day).

They have stored the car for about 3 weeks, and worked on it, and the total Bill was just 62.60 Euros including the 7% Tax - so can't complain at that. Still not used a tank of petrol, so don't yet know about fuel consumption, but it seems to be taking longer before it needs filling up again than it used to.

Comment

Glad its all sorted Terry - they seem like a decent bunch of chaps!

Happy motoring again....

Cheers
                            Mike

Comment

Hi Terry. I hope that you had a good trip. Good to know your Stag has been sorted, but going back to one of the original points raised in this thread, I'm wondering if the oil leak and 'wrong' breathing system is in any connected to the new Weber? If so, it would be good to know what needs doing to the breather system as that would appear to be a potential issue with the Weber.
                              Cheers, Paul
                              Mk 2 1975 TV8 Mimosa

Comment

Hi Terry due to thinking of this change of carb myself! as Paul above as stated it would be nice to see what as been done to your breather system and (hopefully) as it been successful in curing the leak
                                Thank's Chris.
                                Chris TV8 O/D Carmine

Comment

Working...
                                X