New Parts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Parts

I was chatting to a guy at a classic meet the other day because we were fellow Triumph sufferers, sorry meant owners. When we eventually got on to the subject of rubbish pattern parts.

Anyway, he told me that in the TR Club they ask members to send failed parts into to the club for analysis. The Club then takes up the matter with the supplier.

Iím not sure how accurate this is,Hopefully, there are TR members among us who can clarify.

Certainly wouldnít mind seeing a similar set up with SOC so we could start clearing out some of the truly rubbish parts that can lead to expensive failures.

Andy S

Andy that sounds like a great project and would benefit us all,you should maybe write in to the committee with this proposal and offer your services or those of anyone prepared to undertake the task .the committee is always swamped with workloads and presently undermanned .im sure they will welcome any help so put a proposal together and get it discussed to see if this project could work .
    well done
    Beautiful early mk1 white tv8 mod? MGB GT and now looking for another V8

Comment

Sounds like a good idea but I can imagine with the sheer number of duff parts it would be a very time consuming job for someone/a number of members in the club.
      it would be interesting to know how the TR club set up is run though

Cheers
      Mike

Comment

That's a great idea

Comment

I think the key here is you need a professional for this, which from what I was hearing is what the TR Register uses. Whether they pay for a professional, or have members who work in this area i couldnít say.

Will have to wait to see if any TR members can shed more light. Assuming they have a good scheme going we could always ask if we could buy into it as a club.

Been thinking about how the club works and it seems members want a bigger and more professional club, but SOC is limited by the number of Stags and can only really get smaller.

Maybe we could join with some of the other Triumph Clubs and become the Stag Register that is part of a bigger Triumph club that has a permanent employed staff and headquarters.

Iím sorry if iíve just committed heresy. Please donít burn my cravat and muddy my suede hush puppies.

Andy S

Comment

Likely this is going to be something the other British marques suffer from considering we share a lot of the same suppliers. Worth speaking to the MG etc clubs about if they have engineers either on staff or friendly companies they have agreements with?
            If companies are selling us crap for very often high prices, and are then free to either blame the installer of said crap item when it fails or just quietly refund it and let the next person unwittingly buy the same thing and waste time, money, and sometimes damage to their car from it, then it's something the clubs should be investigating together.

Comment

I know I'm going to get a reputation for raining on peoples' parades, but a thread was started where it concerned simply just listing the parts which were unfit for use:

https://socforum.com/forum/forum/sta...ent-parts-rant

I think only 4 or 5 people contributed (including Jeff who started the thread and myself) and it died after about 20 posts.

If that's the maximum we can get people to even just mention in a forum post, how many are going to remove said faulty part, write up its details and how it failed, put it in a parcel and send it to "The Committee" for examination?

I know that Shrek gets to marry the princess, but I fear the most we can realistically accomplish would be the list in the quoted thread. If there had been more interest, this could have been made into a poll type of list where affected users could put their mark to see if the problem was one-off or not. Let's see now how many click on that old thread and start registering their bad parts! We could even then concentrate on getting expert attention to a part which has affected, say, over 30 owners.

Drew
              If you can't say something nice, don't say it !

Comment

Was just going to say the same, thanks Drew!

Comment

I started a post in the club business from a different angle Drew, part recommendations , but apart from Phil agreeing, it was me me me, no other in put???????????. It doesn't take to long to add a post????
                  (The Sun Rise Colour) "The UK,s Most Easterly Stag" Quad Exhaust- Header Tank - HIDS

Comment

PS, even the mod,s and committee buy bits?
                    (The Sun Rise Colour) "The UK,s Most Easterly Stag" Quad Exhaust- Header Tank - HIDS

Comment

This idea has my vote!

Comment

Originally posted by MandM View Post
                        I started a post in the club business from a different angle Drew, part recommendations , but apart from Phil agreeing, it was me me me, no other in put???????????. It doesn't take to long to add a post????
                        Just added some info about coils to your thread...............

Cheers
                        Keith

Comment

Originally posted by dasadrew View Post
                          I know I'm going to get a reputation for raining on peoples' parades, but a thread was started where it concerned simply just listing the parts which were unfit for use:

https://socforum.com/forum/forum/sta...ent-parts-rant

I think only 4 or 5 people contributed (including Jeff who started the thread and myself) and it died after about 20 posts.

If that's the maximum we can get people to even just mention in a forum post, how many are going to remove said faulty part, write up its details and how it failed, put it in a parcel and send it to "The Committee" for examination?

I know that Shrek gets to marry the princess, but I fear the most we can realistically accomplish would be the list in the quoted thread. If there had been more interest, this could have been made into a poll type of list where affected users could put their mark to see if the problem was one-off or not. Let's see now how many click on that old thread and start registering their bad parts! We could even then concentrate on getting expert attention to a part which has affected, say, over 30 owners.

Drew
                          I agree and disagree to be honest. Agree that people are unlikely to report defective parts, but disagree wirh the reasons why you felt your thread was unsupported.

Reporting defective parts to a thread will put the club in a difficult position. It would be on very shaky legal ground if a supplier challenged an unsubstantiated claim.

For a scheme to work it needs expertise and accreditation in this field to provide evidence that if required could be used in a legal case. This may be unrealistic, especially as putting suppliers out of business is counterproductive. We just want them to take responsibility for the quality of the parts they sell.

I donít know the details of the TR Registerís scheme, my total knowledge of it is based on one conversation in a Pub Carpark on a Sunday morning. I hope itís as good as was alleged, but will wait for someone with more knowledge to verify or deny.

Andy S

Comment

In actual fact, I don't recall having given a reason for the lack of responses but yes Andy, it could possibly be that the noble and wise reason why hardly anyone added to the parts list in that thread was to protect the Club from legal recourse. It could also be that those two pals lethargy and apathy were in play. I have my own view on this, but your reason could, of course, be valid.

Drew
                            If you can't say something nice, don't say it !

Comment

Sorry, as a lawyer I am a bit puzzled by the worry that a supplier could sue over the claim that a part does not work/fit. If such a list was created, it would not be to put a supplier out of business, it would be to alert them that the part(s) they are supplying need to be rectified to work. If I was a reputable supplier and the parts I was selling do not fit/work, then I would want to know so I could get them changed so I could actually sell them.

Take my heater valve for example. I ordered two from two different suppliers that both were 3-4 thou oversized and would not fit without major fettling. Personally I think it ridiculous to have to do that to a new part and there is no legal ground for the supplier to go after me or the club if I say 'Part X does not fit' as it should. Under the law, products must be fit for purpose. The supplier can't sue me or the SOC for his product being defective and me stating so. If it is defamation that is a concern, there are very high hurdles to overcome for any statement to be deemed defamatory. I can assure you that stating 'Part X does not fit as it should' in no way would ever clear any of the 5 requirements to ground a case in defamation..

I would also fully agree with a 'do use' part list. Again, no one can complain or seek redress under the law if we say 'Part X works perfectly as a replacement for Part Y.'

The reason I did my previous ranty post about poor replacement parts was to save others from the hassle. If a supplier wants to sue me - go for it. The case would be thrown out at the first hearing.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X