Heater valve

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heater valve

Hi All - there is a lot on this topic so Iím feeling reasonably confident about removing the valve and cleaning it up before replacing it. I have all the ailments covered by every one else - sticking valves and seized cables - think I can fix these having read the threads . I will replace the heater control cable which has come away from the clip at bezel end hopefully by gettin a hand in there thro the ashtray aperture etc.

BUT Iím worried about the amount of coolant that might come out of the valve if / when I loosen and remove it. I read itís between Ďhalf a cup full to a waterfallí. Can anyone say for sure ? Just fitted new carpets so donít want Ďem spoilt. And yes should have done this job first but life is never that well sequenced - just got the car back on the road after major restoration and 32 year lay up.

Iíll be very grateful if someone could tell me how much coolant I have to deal with because I donít want to drain the system.
    thanks

Hi

I had probably more than 250mls, which made a MESS. Thankfully my carpets are crap so I wasn't worried about them, bu it was still unpleasant.

When I commented on this on my own thread a very wise member (sorry, can't find who it was) suggested removing the two inlet and outlet pipes in the engine bay and blowing out the coolant in the heater matrix into a pan there rather than risking the coolant coming out onto your new carpets. To be safe, I would put down some old towels too!

Jeff

Comment

I had a small amount, certainly not enough to mess up the carpets, which was nearly all caught in a flattish tupperware container and a microfibre between it and the valve. It's only water and antifreeze at the end of the day.
      Paul - 3 projects, 1 breaker - garage built and housing 2 white Stags. One runs, one doesn't

Comment

Excellent and thanks both - sounds like a combination of both replies - may not do it quite yet but will post the result

Comment

When I did mine, I left the cooling system 'intact', so that coolant loss out through the valve was minimal. If the radiator cap or hoses are off, it will drain down.

Dave

Comment

And presumably with the engine stone cold ..

Comment

Originally posted by Enton View Post
              And presumably with the engine stone cold ..

Door open, gear lever in 'Park', handbrake on, and drivers seat removed. Simples.

Comment

Working...
              X