Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine oil

Yes I did use the search function To many answers to show

Which engine and gearbox oil are you guys recommending to use ??

I used VR1 in both
    Paul - 3 projects, 1 breaker - garage built and housing 2 white Stags. One runs, one doesn't

Comment

VR1 in my engine, but I've got an auto, so wouldn't do much good inside that

Dave

Comment

whatever 20/50 classic oils at bicester have on deal when I see them.

This time around it is Penrite Classic 20/50
        Stags and Range Rover Classics - I must be a loony

Comment

Last year,doing my first service /oil change I used Comma Heritage Classic 20/50. Oil pressure is excellent and I've just replaced the tin ready for spring and it was £13 for 5 litres. However it may not be available in the States .Gearbox and rear axle were topped up with Auto Lube hypoid 90

Richard

Comment

Valvoline VR1 always used to be favoured by many. However, they've reformulated and are coy on the ZDDP content (even when contacted directly on this) which has put off a few, including me. Will be looking in earnest later this year after my VR1 stock is exhausted. Might give Duckhams a go (they claim good ZDDP levels) or Penrite or .....! ZDDP is recognised as being a good lubricant for the Stag cams & followers. Simplistic view is for concentrations of 1100 - 1200 ppm, though the expert view is more complex (as you'll discover if you treat yourself to an evening with the most recent threads from your search.

Very difficult to get an objective view without frequent oil analysis and expert review, which excludes most of us

Jonno

Comment

Millers seems fab

Comment

"Might give Duckhams a go (they claim good ZDDP levels) "

ZDDP levels are not what's required, it's the concentration of ZINC in the ZDDP which is important. Duckhams don't give you that, they just state optimised, do you trust them ?

VR1 still state 1300 Zinc in their ZDDP which are the numbers needed, others are very..."reluctant" to state them.

Micky

Comment

Vr1
                  Mike

Comment

This stuff for me
                    Wilco classic car oil 20/50
                    probably only available in the UK though

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-cl...ndoatvxJcaAsXD

Comment

Thanks Micky. Always good to get facts rather than marketing hype. I will continue with VR1, not that I was ever going to change.

Comment

Who's currently the best supplier of VR1? Eurocrap Parts seem to have stopped selling it.

Dave

Comment

Dave

Thought ECP had stopped stocking it, and also seen rumours that VR1 composition has changed (less Zinc?), so even thought of looking at the “new/Re-introduced” Duckhams 20/50. Anyone heard any specification on that?

ian F

Comment

Originally posted by Ian F View Post
                            Dave

Thought ECP had stopped stocking it, and also seen rumours that VR1 composition has changed (less Zinc?), so even thought of looking at the “new/Re-introduced” Duckhams 20/50. Anyone heard any specification on that?

ian F

I refer you to post #8 above regarding Duckhams and their "shyness" in quoting what the Zinc content in the ZDDP figures are.

To help clarify (?) it further, here's a posting from the TR Register where oil argument abounds just as here

" Lets get it straight:"

The article (posted in the TR Register magazine) quotes API SH in 1996 was a max of 0.12%. BUT fails to say that this percentage was always expressed as the mass of P present as ZDDP.

Duckhams then say that 0.12% ZDDP, ie the mass of ZDDP not the mass of P is optimal. BUT if they used the same units as API SH it will be around 7 to 10 times lower than the SH level.(The exact fraction depends upon the mass of the alkyl R groups in the molecule)

Summary: when expressed in the same units as in API SH 1996, when ZDDP level was 0.12% P as ZDDP, it now contains ca. 0.017% P as ZDDP.

Bearing in mind ZDDP is sacrificial that means it going to provide anti-scuff action for 7 time fewer miles.

If Duckhams are confused, please PM me.

Professor Emeritus Peter Cobbold, PhD

Peter is a well respected and technically advanced "Prof" who runs a supercharged TR6, he demands an oil with a Zinc content of about 1300ppm in ZDDP. He's brighter than me by a long way (form a line) so I'm happy to accept his objective viewpoint on oil.

Micky

Comment

Who's currently the best supplier of VR1? Eurocrap Parts seem to have stopped selling it.

I use Pipercross performance oils. £78.49 for 15L. Free postage on flea bay. M

Comment

Working...
                              X