Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How easy (or not) to remove and refit soft top frame.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How easy (or not) to remove and refit soft top frame.

As the title really. I have stripped out the car interior and side panels etc to prepare the way to do cavity waxing. Reading the ROM, it reads as though it is fairly easy to remove and replace the soft top and frame in one unit. Is this the case? Or is it not worth the hassle? Iím using a sealey gun, spray wands and compressor and want to make sure I get a good surface covering in side the rear wing panels behind the b post down to the sills and in between the rear inner and outer rear wheel arches. Thanks.

Its a half hour job to take out (max) - getting it back in and adjusted properly is probably an hour at most. It is easier if you have a helper as the frame is quite heavy and awkward. Do you need to take it off to do the job you are proposing? I would have thought careful use of the cavity wax and some old towels/sheets to mask/protect the inside of the hood would work?
    Paul - 3 projects, 1 breaker - garage built and housing 2 white Stags. One runs, one doesn't

Comment

If you dont get a helper, you'll likely bend something. It is awkward .

Comment

It is easier with a helper but itís not difficult solo either
        Paul - 3 projects, 1 breaker - garage built and housing 2 white Stags. One runs, one doesn't

Comment

Thanks, iíll Do as you suggest and protect it with some sheets and see how it goes.
          Mark.

Comment

I found it very helpful with seats removed so that I could stand upright and centrally in the car, holding the whole assembly. Then it was helpful that a bit of light assistance was available to help guide the frame into the right place.
            If you can't say something nice, don't say it !

Comment

Same here, managed it by myself. Was surprised how well it went but might have been lucky!!
              Sometimes you just need the 2 wheels!

Comment

If you do lift it out by yourself I found putting the fixing bolts back in their holes on one side when you lift it back in allows one side to be supported while you fiddle the other bolts in to fix. you can then work on one side at a time

Comment

Working...
                X