Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need to know wire gauge for the thick brown alternator wire used on Mk2 alternator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need to know wire gauge for the thick brown alternator wire used on Mk2 alternator

I'm putting a Mk2 alternator on a Mk1 Stag, I've removed the non-standard regular and control box. I bought a new Mk2 alternator plug and would like to know gauge of the wire used for the thick brown wire.

Is is this gauge?

44 Strand PVC Wire "12 Gauge" (C144)

Sujit

I would worry more about the current capacity rather than what they fitted 40 years ago.. 12 gauge seems a bit light to me. Iím seeing 25 amps capacity. Maybe 10 gauge or even 8. Or double up the 12 gauge?

terry
    Last edited by trunt; 15th March 2019, 18:26.
    Terry Hunt, Wilmington Delaware

www.terryhunt.co.uk

Comment

go for 8mm this will cope ok with a high output alternator, either run it to the battery or live terminal on the starter motor

Comment

If you're using a single wire, assuming a 60A alternator, then 10 gauge should be ok as long as it's not too long.
        Found this website with a chart: http://www.offroaders.com/technical/...gauge-to-amps/

Comment

From what I understood, the Mk2 alternator has 2 thick brown wires which are connected together inside the alternator. I'm assuming they where split to take 1/2 the load than using one really thick wire. I can use 1 thicker wire, but maybe the connector in the alternator may get hotter than intended. I have heard of people using using 1 wire, but since I have the loom spliced open, I can add two brown wires.

Comment

I replaced the wiring loom on my MKI, which has a MKII alternator.
            I re-positioned the alternator to the left-hand side of the engine and hence I needed to provide some custom wiring for it.
            I used 2 feeds of 6mm 50A thin-wall brown cable (172-684-N) sourced from Autosparks, which I ran to the un-fused distribution point on the bulkhead on the right-hand side of the engine compartment.
            That seemed perfect for the job.

Comment

Thx. it seems that the single Mk1 brown wire is thicker than that of the later Mk2 twin brown wires. Still investigating options. I do plan to use the distribution point you mentioned.
              Sujit

Comment

Working...
              X