Alternative 3.27 diffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative 3.27 diffs

Searching the forum I came across a 2016 entry by Kryten talking about having a 3.27 diff fitted but no fiurther details about them.
    Can anyone fill in some details or are they in contact with Kryten off the forum to glean some more information.
    thanks in advance.

GT6s had them, MK3 I think. Are you thinking of putting one in a stag?

edit: it may have been MK1s but either way not something youíd want to put in a stag.
    Last edited by Goldstar; 15th April 2019, 21:07.
    Paul - 3 projects, 1 breaker - garage built and housing 2 white Stags. One runs, one doesn't

Comment

Originally posted by Goldstar View Post
      GT6 mk3s had Them. Are you thinking of putting one in a stag?
      Fit a GT6 diff to a Stag and it be mashed in double quick time

Bruce
      1973 GT6 Mk3 Pimento Red
      1974 Stag TV8,MOD,3.45 diff,French Blue,Tomcat seats, Belt EWP, Header Tank

Comment

The 3.27:1 GT6 diff unit is shared with Spitfires and non-Sprint Dolomites. Itís nowhere near strong enough to last in a Stag.
        Chris
        Magenta Stag TV8 MOD

Comment

Agree with your last sentence but was that diff really factory fitted to Spits? Auto Dollyís had it but it killed the performance.

Comment

Thanks all for the extra info- maybe Kryten also has a Vitesse or GT6 and didnít reference it in the post. Iím just trying to explore alternatives to the BMW route. There are just a couple of references to using the Toyota R200 diff on the internet but no apparent commercial solutions unlike for the TR6. The ďrightĒ version is stated to be only a couple of mm longer and didnít seem to need the main diff carrier being weakened by carving out great chunks to fit round the BMW diff.

Comment

Originally posted by KOY 23 View Post
              Agree with your last sentence but was that diff really factory fitted to Spits? Auto Dollyís had it but it killed the performance.
              Listed for Spitfire 1500 (1979-80), I doubt the earlier 1300 cars would have enough torque to pull a 3.27:1 in top gear let alone overdrive top gear.
              Chris
              Magenta Stag TV8 MOD

Comment

Originally posted by Carboy0 View Post

Listed for Spitfire 1500 (1979-80), I doubt the earlier 1300 cars would have enough torque to pull a 3.27:1 in top gear let alone overdrive top gear.
                According to Kryten the 1979/80 spit had a 3.63 in U.K. and a 3.89 in US - never did it have a 3.27, only GT6, 1850 Dolly auto and early auto TR7 - He has a Vitesse with a GT6 diff in it, and a 1980 Spit 1500 with the only fitted 3.63.

Comment

Originally posted by KOY 23 View Post

According to Kryten the 1979/80 spit had a 3.63 in U.K. and a 3.89 in US - never did it have a 3.27, only GT6, 1850 Dolly auto and early auto TR7 - He has a Vitesse with a GT6 diff in it, and a 1980 Spit 1500 with the only fitted 3.63.
                  I was working off the info on the Brothers Rimm website, where itís clearly listed as a Spitfire Diferential. Something deep in the recesses of my mind tells me it was for Swiss cars, I canít find anything to back up that assertion though.

I think that we are all agreed that itís not an option for the Stag.
                  Chris
                  Magenta Stag TV8 MOD

Comment

For info, I have a monarch rear end on a car i bought which was running a BMW E30 3.07:1 diff which with both BW 35 and 65 gearboxes had very poor acceleration although cruised quite well at 70.
                    I have since changed to a BMW E28 diff 3.47:1 with a manual gearbox and its perfect i.e 70 mph 2600 rpm. I have got 16Ē wheels with medium profile tyres.
                    I think the 3.07:1 diff is from cars with in excess of 200 bhp.
                    ......in case this is of interest -a bit like having a chat down the pub.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkielew View Post
                      For info, I have a monarch rear end on a car i bought which was running a BMW E30 3.07:1 diff which with both BW 35 and 65 gearboxes had very poor acceleration although cruised quite well at 70.
                      I have since changed to a BMW E28 diff 3.47:1 with a manual gearbox and its perfect i.e 70 mph 2600 rpm. I have got 16Ē wheels with medium profile tyres.
                      I think the 3.07:1 diff is from cars with in excess of 200 bhp.
                      ......in case this is of interest -a bit like having a chat down the pub.
                      Are you sure it's not 3.46:1 Not splitting hairs but that's what mine is but it is from an E30 not e28 so it is possible I guess that they made 2 diffs so very close in ratios.. Had a 3.25:1 lsd on mine at one time with under sized tyres, that wasn't good
                      Carbs suck.

Comment

Working...
                      X