is this gasket really needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this gasket really needed

Is the gasket between engine oil pick up in sump and engine block really needed. Seems surplus here.. I'm sure I'm missing something

Just guessing but if that joint leaks then it would not be as efficient at sucking the oil from the bottom, It would also suck air?

Maybe the line and perhaps the oil pump would empty when the engine is stopped for a while causing an air lock?

Bottom line one is that it’s there for a reason!

Terry
    Terry Hunt, Wilmington Delaware

www.terryhunt.co.uk

Comment

Agreed. The Triumph V8 was designed by a very experienced team…
      Mabel is a white 1972 Mk1˝, TV8, ZF 4HP-22 auto,
      2016 RBRR finisher. 400 mile C2C 21/22 April 2018!

Comment

yes..path of least resistance..look how easily air is sucked back into the rad rather than water from the expansion bottle the same could happen if the mating surfaces are not perfect. oil is the lifeblood of the engine

Comment

So ensure that both mating faces are machined absolutely perfectly and establish that the expansion rates throughout the operational range of temperatures are within tolerance and then you might lob away the 10pence gasket.

Me I just fit the gasket and ensure that my oil pump pickup pipe is not going to suck air.

Like I do through my teeth when I rear some of these questions
          Stags and Range Rover Classics - I must be a loony

Comment

Missing something, yes you will be, oil pressure which is quite useful.

Comment

No offence intended but if you are building a stag engine you really shouldn't be having thoughts about which gaskets you can leave out.

Pete.

Comment

Thx for the replys. makes sense not to draw air. will apply some gasket sealer to.

Comment

I wouldn't use gasket sealer - if any squeezes out of the joint it could end up in an oilway and block it

Comment

Originally posted by Rod1883 View Post
                    I wouldn't use gasket sealer - if any squeezes out of the joint it could end up in an oilway and block it
                    Totally agree, if necessary you can smear the gasket with engine oil to help hold it in place while assembling, but definitely no sealant - not even Blue Hylomar or Stag Wellseal. As Rod says too easy for some to squeeze out and block an oil way - some are very small - think about the virtual pinhole feeding oil to the timing chain tensioners.

I have stripped a few engines down and been quite alarmed by the amount of sealant/gasket goo etc. I have found squeezed out on the inside and dropped into the sump, often partially blocking the oil pickup if it is fitted with a gauze strainer.

The key things with any mating parts that need to seal is a) use the correct gasket b) use the correct bolts tightened to the correct torgue and c) before assembly make sure mating surfaces are clean, flat, free from burrs and any deep scratches.

Roger
                    So many cars, so little time!

Comment

Wouldn't any stray sealant have to go through the oil filter before getting to any oilways ?

Comment

Working...
                      X