Mk 2 Auto replacement Carpet set?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mk 2 Auto replacement Carpet set?

I will be changing the full set during the Summer, a couple of questions though..
    Is there a preferred supplier
    Am I better off with wool
    Should I place felt beneath
    How long is it likely to take to fit
    Many thanks

I fitted the wool set from Aldridge. The wool carpet is glued to the felt backing.
    Only the vertical sides have no felt.
    Easy to fit no trimming, was over 20 years ago though but I doubt much has changed.
    Mike.
    74 Stag (Best Modified 2007), 02 Maserati 4200, 17 BMW M140i, 00 Mitsubishi Pinin

Comment

A wool set from Aldridge will suit the car and look great.
      The only modification I did was to add a piece of sound-deadening under the gearbox carpet which is not easy to do because the heater is quite close to the tunnel.
      However, it quietens any transmission noise and keeps the gearbox tunnel cooler to touch.
      Mabel is a white 1972 Mk1, TV8, ZF 4HP-22 auto,
      2016 RBRR finisher. 400 mile C2C 21/22 April 2018!

Comment

I did mine a week ago. I reused the felt for the transmission tunnel and for the footells at the vertical pieces of the sill piece, some spray carpet adhesive which can be pulled off if necessary.

The piece that took a while is the bit that wraps the rear ashtray as it needs gluing, trimming, more gluing etc.

I can't say exactly how long it would take because it kept trying to rain, meaning I had to keep putting the car in the garage to wait for the next chance. I also attended to the heater valve and green clip and did a bit of parts cleaning.

A whole day should do it or an easy weekend.

If anything, start by removing the rear ashtray piece and prep that first, then it's largely a clear run.

Comment

A small tip when you get the carpets; don't throw away the old set too early. The carpets which I (foolishly) didn't get from Aldridge were, in the most, very generously cut and needed trimming to the origianl size and contour. That's fine. Unfortunately the centre piece was so badly cut that it only bore a resemblance to the original if seen from a drone at 1000ft height. It was also too small in places. The Supplier replaced it without quibble, but it delayed the job by weeks.

I can't name the supplier publicly, but pm me if you want the info.

Drew
          If you can't say something nice, don't say it !

Comment

I went wool with separate underlay from rimmers 2 years ago. Nice thick luxurious feel.
            Good quality, reasonable price, about a days work. Take your time and enjoy it.
            I used as little glue as possible - in case it needs to be removed one day. Better than new now i suspect. Regards Julian

Comment

Working...
            X