Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leaks

Hi,
    I have a couple of oil leaks the one at the front seems to be coming from the pump area or the switch, I am not losing water so maybe not the head but oil seems to be coming from that area just a couple of drips when I get the car parked up but it used about a litre of oil on a 500 mile run plugs are a bit sooty but not oily, and the other leak is from under the gear box right in the middle what is the most common thing it can be as I cant see exactly where it is coming from thank you martin
    If you don't know what to do don't do anything

Hi Martin. It would help to know what engine and carb you are using.

Leaks down the back of the engine are typically from the cam cover area at the back, because of the angle of the engine, oil pools here and will drip past the halfmoon and/or gasket if they have not sealed
    Stags and Range Rover Classics - I must be a loony

Comment

Hi Richard don't think it is from cam covers they look quite clean as I can see down the back of the covers

Comment

is it a triumph v8 and does it have strombergs still fitted?

Comment

Is it hard job changing the manfold gaskets, besides the obvoius water trickle leak does it effect the smooth / idle running of the engine.

Regards,
          Sukhi

Comment

Hi yes it is a v8 triumph engine with stromberg carbs

Comment

I assume "Pump" means Oil Pump, in which case it could be from the pressure switch thread. It has been known to have tightened them too much causing a hairline crack in the pump cover. Leak could also be past an old and hardened "O" ring in the pump housing. I too have an annoying slight leak in that area and have renewed seals and used threadloc to no avail. I fear I also have a hairline crack which closes up when the parts are disasembled.

Middle of the gearbox could be the drain plug itself. If it's a manual with overdrive it can be from the overdrive filter housing (the square ribbed alloy bit of the overdrive). I had a leak from the speedo drive take-off which was cured with a new seal.

Again, it's useful to have more infos about the car (Auto? Manual? Manual O/D? etc.)

Drew
              If you can't say something nice, don't say it !

Comment

Originally posted by STAG GEEK Mk.1 View Post
                Hi yes it is a v8 triumph engine with stromberg carbs
                thanks, I was confused by "I have a couple of oil leaks the one at the front seems to be coming from the pump area or the switch" which is more of a rover v8 thing I guess now that you meant front of the car

like Drew says, over tightened oil pressure sensor etc etc also transfer housing, cam cover, oil pump, oil filter etc etc

If it were mine I would give it a darned good degrease, then the leak should be easier to spot. Amazing how far oil can get flung by a spinning pulley. I waft of talc onto a clean engine might help you identify where the oil is coming from

Re gearbox, do we need to guess what box you have like Drew also said

Autos have a nasty habit of becoming incontinent when left standing a day or two. Come to think of it how do you know that the "front" leak from the "pump" is engine oil and not dirty auto trans fluid?

Richard

Comment

Thank you yes the gear box leak seems to be from the overdrive filter housing, and as for the engine leak maybe I should have the pump changed as the oil seams to be dripping off the bolts from the the oil pump, I would have a go myself but I need to lift the car to a good height as it looks as if I would have to drop the exhaust to get at 2 of the pump bolts, I will have to find someone locally to me, thank you for your help

Comment

Oil dripping from the oil pump cover could well be coming from further up, as in the oil transfer housing seals, or even the cam cover gaskets.

In other words, it might not be the oil pump itself that is leaking. Or just the oil pump, you may well have a combination of leaks.
                    Header tanks - you can't beat a bit of bling.

Comment

Thank you I think I will put up with it lol, not straight forwards, when I have limited knowledge. I had a 500 mile run in the car and it used a litre of oil but no water, so mabe losing oil on the run to???

Comment

Definitely not coming from cam covers as for transfer housing seals I wouldn't know where to look ??

Comment

the transfer housing is that aluminum cover that houses the oil pressure sender on. there are two Orings on that. my oil pump leaks from block to pump. but is it difficult to get at with the exhaust down pipe in the way.

Comment

Thank you I don't know then it could be either I just can't see?? All I know is there are blobs of oil on the nuts on the oil pump and as I said earlier the car used 1 litre on a 500 miles run during that hot spell last year, thank you

Comment

Ps is this normal for these old engines to use some oil, but it doesn't use any water

Comment

Working...
                              X