Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine cutting out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Engine cutting out

    Hi
    I have an intermittent fault that causes the engine to cut out. The car coasts for 10 - 15 seconds and then the engine miraculously fires up and continues on 'til the next cut out. I discussed this with a couple of Stag owners at a resent "run" and they both independently suggested a faulty inertia switch and that I should try looping it out. This I did but the problem still persists, if anything it seems to be getting more frequent.
    I have checked all the wiring around the distributor, coil and fuel pump and all seems OK. I did find one dodgy looking spade connector on the coil which I replaced but that didn't cure the problem.
    Could it be fueling issues? maybe the fuel pump on its way out? or is it likely to be electrical or ignition?
    The car is fitted with a Lumenition electronic ignition system?. The coil was changed about 2 years ago.

    #2
    I had the same. It was the SU fuel pump points, I bought an electronic pump from LD parts, an easy switch or you could get a SU repair kit from Burlen.

    Steve
    SteveD 1972 Mk1.5

    Comment


      #3
      Carl, don’t suppose you noticed what the tachometer does when it cuts out? I had a similar issue on last years Drive it day run, cut out, tried to bump start it and it went again, later did the same thing and died completely. Checked fuel, OK, checked spark with a spare plug, OK, checked distributor cap and rotor arm, OK, put the cap back on and tried again and it started. However further up the road it did it again. Eventually I noticed that the tacho was dying when the engine died and then I noticed if I moved the low tension coil wires, it died, move it back it kept going. Spade connectors were tight on the coil but the wire connection to the spade was breaking down. Stripped and re-connected the wire and all OK since. Bloody annoyed though,it was the first “failure to proceed” in 10 years of ownership. Might be worth a check?

      ian F

      Comment


        #4
        Hi Carl, just wanted to let you know of our experience of late. We have been out every weekend for about 5 weeks in a row, loadsa miles with no issues and then last sunday it just cut out on a dual carriageway, just as if you had switched it off, no warning or anything. Checked under the bonet, nothing obvious. Tried a couple of times to restart, nothing, sat for a couple of minutes in the rain to consider our next move then it started. We continued for about an hour then a quarter of a mile from home on a dual carriageway same thing. Again as if you had just switched it off.
        Restarted after a couple of tries then ran for about 400yards then another 400yards just enough for us to take the downhill route home and into the garage.
        It sat in the garage until yesterday, I just needed to sort it, so not wanting to go far from home I drove it around locally for about 40 minutes, it was perfect.
        OK so this morning with no particular place to go we set off from Northampton to the Cotswolds on a mission to solve our problem, after three break downs a petrol pump change, not fixed, then a coil change, not fixed, then an electronic ignition change, perfect, running smoother now even though we hadn't noticed it was running rough.
        We were prepared, OK, so today was a good day and each stop was only about fifteen minutes but sometimes things are a little difficult to pin point.
        We had fun, hope this helps.
        Des.

        ​​​​

        Comment


          #5
          Hi Carl
          Check the plastic connector on the Lumenition it's something of a weak point and the pins can ride up so it looks like it's properly connected but actually it isn't.
          Best of luck
          Bruce

          Comment


            #6
            Does the car cut suddenly like the ignition has been turned off? or does it cough and splutter and die?

            Stags and Range Rover Classics - I must be a loony

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by 71Stag View Post
              Hi Carl
              Check the plastic connector on the Lumenition it's something of a weak point and the pins can ride up so it looks like it's properly connected but actually it isn't.
              Best of luck
              Bruce
              I had just that

              Comment


                #8
                Hi Carl
                I too had a similar problem 2 years ago. You can probably find my threads here on the forum.
                All what has been suggested above didn't help my stag which was replacing the fuel pump twice, the petrol filter, rotor arm, coil, carb diaphragms, checking the inertia etc. I even refurbished the fuel tank after I found some rust particles in the filter.
                In the end a former contributor to the forum sorted me out. He checked the carbs all over and there was a tiny plastic like corn blocking the fuel inlet in each carb. Only sometimes but so annoying. I believe the particles came from a collapsed fuel filter probably not coping with modern fuels and therefore disintegrating. No problem since then but a lot of money spent unnecessary.
                Cheers Hans
                regards Hans, 72 Mk1.5 TV8 since 2014 MO/D BRG RHD

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by 1005hansjoachim View Post
                  Hi Carl
                  I too had a similar problem 2 years ago. You can probably find my threads here on the forum.
                  All what has been suggested above didn't help my stag which was replacing the fuel pump twice, the petrol filter, rotor arm, coil, carb diaphragms, checking the inertia etc. I even refurbished the fuel tank after I found some rust particles in the filter.
                  In the end a former contributor to the forum sorted me out. He checked the carbs all over and there was a tiny plastic like corn blocking the fuel inlet in each carb. Only sometimes but so annoying. I believe the particles came from a collapsed fuel filter probably not coping with modern fuels and therefore disintegrating. No problem since then but a lot of money spent unnecessary.
                  Cheers Hans
                  Whilst not everyone will agree, but that’s another reason to run the car on 98 octane fuel. Just about every year I end up having to replace numerous fibre washers on the fuel system thanks to modern 95 octane fuel.
                  Incidentally Carl i also had cutting out a few years back. My Stag specialist diagnosed a faulty electronic ignition. It was replaced and hey presto. Electronic ignition is not infallible.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by RobinLegin View Post

                    Whilst not everyone will agree, but that’s another reason to run the car on 98 octane fuel. Just about every year I end up having to replace numerous fibre washers on the fuel system thanks to modern 95 octane fuel.
                    Incidentally Carl i also had cutting out a few years back. My Stag specialist diagnosed a faulty electronic ignition. It was replaced and hey presto. Electronic ignition is not infallible.
                    It would appear that not all Super Unleaded is ethanol free - Esso Supreme in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland has it, so does Tesco although they don't say where just that depending on location it may contain ethanol, BP's last missive on the subject I could find was in 2010 saying their super unleaded (Ultimate) doesn't have ethanol, I couldn't find any info from Shell. I guess the message is, check the pump for the E5 legend?
                    Paul - 3 projects, 1 breaker - garage built and housing 2 white Stags. One runs, one doesn't

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Goldstar View Post

                      It would appear that not all Super Unleaded is ethanol free - Esso Supreme in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland has it, so does Tesco although they don't say where just that depending on location it may contain ethanol, BP's last missive on the subject I could find was in 2010 saying their super unleaded (Ultimate) doesn't have ethanol, I couldn't find any info from Shell. I guess the message is, check the pump for the E5 legend?
                      Please forgive my ignorance but is Ethanol good or bad? Our local village filling station is Texaco and they do sell a high octane fuel,which of course is about 10p a litre more expensive. I do top the Stag up there from time to time and give it a "treat" with some of the higher grade juice but is this wise?

                      Richard

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Goldstar View Post

                        It would appear that not all Super Unleaded is ethanol free - Esso Supreme in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland has it, so does Tesco although they don't say where just that depending on location it may contain ethanol, BP's last missive on the subject I could find was in 2010 saying their super unleaded (Ultimate) doesn't have ethanol, I couldn't find any info from Shell. I guess the message is, check the pump for the E5 legend?
                        Yes, re: BP, the 2010 reference is an Australian document and I suspect is out of date. Shell do say the both Shell Regular Unleaded AND Shell V-Power Unleaded are likely to contain ethanol though not at more than 5%. It does seem very likely that nearly all unleaded fuel now contains at least some Ethanol so it is no longer safe to assume that the super unleaded ones are ethanol free. So as you say Paul, check at the pump, but not sure you will get a clear and definitive answer.

                        Also not sure what is happening about the introduction of E10 (fuel with 10% ethanol). The government consultation paper closed last year (2018) and it's response is due to be published "later in 2019"

                        https://www.gov.uk/government/consul...pump-labelling

                        In answer to Richards question in general ethanol is not good for cars with fuel systems not designed for it. Several reasons:

                        1. It is known to attack certain metals and gasket / sealing materials in the fuel systems (carbs, pumps, fuel lines, tanks) of older cars - the higher the concentration the worse the effects. Not a problem in the short term but as I understand it can be a problem where cars are left standing with half empty fuel tanks and carburettor float chambers over winter.

                        2. It is thought that ethanol and other volatile additives in modern fuels evaporator very easily and can lead to fuel vaporisation problems in the high under bonnet temperatures of older cars. This usually exhibits as hot start problems - a quick search on this forum will reveal multiple posts on the subject.

                        There is/was a general feeling in the classic car world that using super unleaded fuel that we thought did not contain ethanol would help alleviate these problems.

                        There is a very informative article on fuel here from the FBHVC - Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs.

                        https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/fuels

                        Roger
                        So many cars, so little time!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          just a passing thought on fuel, I use a Briggs and Stratton fuel additive in my garden equipment, this is supposed to allow modern day fuels to be kept in a useable state for up to 2 years...just a thought for winter lay ups

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by marshman View Post
                            Not a problem in the short term but as I understand it can be a problem where cars are left standing with half empty fuel tanks and carburettor float chambers over winter.





                            Roger

                            Thanks for the info Roger and a very interesting article. Just for the record our local filling station is only a few hundred yards away and I fill the tank right up before laying the car up for the winter which I think also helps alleviate any condensation problems inside the tank. On nice days I bring it out and run it up to temperature which of course replenishes the fuel in the carbs.

                            Richard

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by richardthestag View Post
                              Does the car cut suddenly like the ignition has been turned off? or does it cough and splutter and die?
                              No coughing or spluttering just stops. As you say as if the ignition has be turned off.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X