• Show
Clear All

Electric V8 engine for the Stag maybee? LOL

Ok it needs a bit of work but at least it's noisy

https://youtu.be/2wfo2QqkXMU

ps when you wake up at 3 am dont pick up your phone and go on YouTube

And no water pump to go wrong!

Comment

If this was full size engine I doubt whether a finger would be sufficient to turn it over. Perhaps we'd have to revert back to starting handles.

Richard

Comment

I did make enquiries about an electric conversion for my Stag - one day there won't be any petrol left.....

It'll be about £25k for a 100kW (135HP) system but the range is only about 150 miles until battery technology improves.
        Mabel is a white 1972 Mk1Ĺ, TV8, ZF 4HP-22 auto,
        2016 RBRR finisher. 400 mile C2C 21/22 April 2018!

Comment

Mole42, who did you contact for the estimate?
          I love deadlines - I like the whooshing sound they make as they pass by!

Comment

London Electric Cars (www.londonelectriccars.com)

Electric Classic Cars (electricclassiccars.com)
            Mabel is a white 1972 Mk1Ĺ, TV8, ZF 4HP-22 auto,
            2016 RBRR finisher. 400 mile C2C 21/22 April 2018!

Comment

Morning all,
              There actually WAS an electric-powered Stag for sale in Australia about 1 year ago. (Think it was on Car & Classic, but not 100% sure....old age creeping in etc.....)
              Perhaps someone from Down Under knows something about it.
              ...and if anyone's thinking of doing one...."this ain't gonna be cheap" is the phrase that springs to mind!
              Have a good weekend,
              Neil.
              '77 Tahiti Blue, Spax, MoD, poly-bushed.

Comment

Bound to be a scrap Tesla about somewhere......might be a problem with ground clearance after slinging the battery pack under the floor pan.

Back in the '70's & '80's there was a fellow called Fyfe Ferguson who had a body shop / garage in Johnstone, Renfrewshire who among other endeavours converted the likes of Mk2 Cortinas, Chevettes etc into bespoke pickups, with spectacular paint jobs, body mouldings alloys etc. His works were leading edge at the time and he was into developing awesome matalflake finishes, blending in and fading with tremendous effect.
                I recall he fitted RV8 s into an MGB and a TR7 long before they were listed or rallied by BL.
                If he had still been about he would probably have tried electric conversions by now
                Last edited by jakesmig; 13th July 2019, 18:01.
                Your wife is right, size matters. 3.9RV8

Comment

Originally posted by Neil in Deal View Post
                  Morning all,
                  There actually WAS an electric-powered Stag for sale in Australia about 1 year ago. (Think it was on Car & Classic, but not 100% sure....old age creeping in etc.....)
                  Perhaps someone from Down Under knows something about it.
                  ...and if anyone's thinking of doing one...."this ain't gonna be cheap" is the phrase that springs to mind!
                  Have a good weekend,
                  Neil.
                  Gresley who now lives in Australia has seen that electric Stag out and about near Perth. He sent me an exterior picture of it but unfortunately it wasn't of under the bonnet.

Bruce
                  1973 GT6 Mk3 Pimento Red
                  1974 Stag TV8,MOD,3.45 diff,French Blue,Tomcat seats, Belt EWP, Header Tank

Comment

I think the £25k is a bit over the top unless itís including a lot of paid professional development work. I am looking at the possibility of doing an electric conversion of a classic when I finish my MG TF rebuild but my Stag is keeping its original V8! It wouldnít be an ideal choice anyway as, being a convertible I imagine it has a relatively heavy body and the IRS takes up a lot of space down low where you need to be packing in the cells. Admittedly the V8 is quite a heavy lump the and the net mass after removal of all the ICE components is an important factor in working out how much battery capacity you will need to get the range you want. I would be hoping to get something up and running on a diy basis for around a quarter of that.

there is a bit of info around on the electric stag if you care to go searching. I may live in the same country but NZ is closer to me than Perth so I am unlikely to see it around.

chris
                    74 manual o/d, white with shadow blue. Datsun axles, Sierra HT.

Comment

Sorry, but I may be missing something here. Converting a classic into electric is a bit like taking alcohol out of beer. Just because something can be done, doesn't mean it should!

Comment

Dave, have you tried alcohol free cider. Canít tell the difference, other than no headache/hangover, and Iím safe to drive that night and the next morning! . If in the future, the ONLY way you could use your Stag, was by electrifying it, Iíd consider it.

ian F

Comment

what I do not understand is how folk think that electrics come from a nice planet friendly power station.

Nice idea but massive fail
                          Stags and Range Rover Classics - I must be a loony

Comment

Originally posted by Ian F View Post
                            Dave, have you tried alcohol free cider. Canít tell the difference, other than no headache/hangover, and Iím safe to drive that night and the next morning! . If in the future, the ONLY way you could use your Stag, was by electrifying it, Iíd consider it.

ian F
                            Hello Ian,

Although I enjoy apple juice, I wouldn't on principle; a bit like veggie sausages or dairy-free cheese! I suppose I like the Stag's foibles (shortcomings?), such as anxiously watching the temperature gauge, twitching rear end, or its lovely noise! I once drove back from Switzerland in a day, which I doubt could be done on the present battery technology. Of course, progress brings new things, but let's not forget how we arrived.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by richardthestag View Post
                              what I do not understand is how folk think that electrics come from a nice planet friendly power station.

Nice idea but massive fail
                              To be fair some does. Last month the UK was producing > 20% of its energy needs from renewables by the end of next year that will be more like 30%. Leccy provider we use is 100% renewable.

Like some other things that are prehistoric, fossil fuels are on the decline.
                              Paul - 3 projects, 1 breaker - garage built and housing 2 white Stags. One runs, one doesn't

Comment

Working...
                              X