Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parts list for ZF 4 speed Auto Conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Parts list for ZF 4 speed Auto Conversion

    Hi, and thanks for reading, I am aware that Clive and Tate supply and fit the 4 speed auto conversion on a stag engine for £3600. Has anyone done it themselves or had their mechanic fit them? or know if anyone sells the conversion Kit. Unfortunately Clive and Tate only supply and fit. Monarch Stags is under new ownership and no longer supply the kit..I have BW35 auto box in place which requires a rebuild so toying with the idea of replacing with the ZF 4 speed. Is there a definitive parts list anywhere and procedure on how to go about it? Comments suggestions and views welcome. many thanks vish

    #2
    I know Stag Classics at Alton in Hampshire do the conversion but I'm not sure where they get their parts from.
    I love deadlines - I like the whooshing sound they make as they pass by!

    Comment


      #3
      It is (Clive) Tate and (Russell) Lewis who developed the conversion. Clive only does sell & fit, but I believe it can be sourced and fitted through Faversham Classics and, maybe, EJ Ward. The kit is not available for owners to purchase.

      For the money you get a fully reconditioned gearbox, reconditioned torque converter, bespoke bell housing, bespoke tailshaft to drive the Stag speedo, a new prop shaft, bespoke gearbox mounting, modified gear change, and a full guarantee.

      It has been done as a DIY project (Iíve done it) but it isnít straightforward. You need:

      Gearbox (modify pump housing), adapter plate, modified BW35 bellhousing, modified torque converter, BW65 propshaft, modified gearchange, fabricated gearbox mounting. You also need to sort out the inhibitor and reverse light switches. Sort out a speedo drive - either develop and electronic conversion for the Stag speedo or purchase an electronic speedo and sensor. A batch of Stag electronic speedos were commissioned by a SOC member, but I donít know if there are any left.

      Would I do it again? Probably not. I did it as a challenge, but having now done so, I appreciate the value of the Ďproperí conversion.
      Dave
      1974 Mk2, ZF Auto, 3.45 Diff, Datsun Driveshafts. Stag owner/maintainer since 1989.

      Comment


        #4
        Yes There is still a couple left for sale. If you pm me if intrested and I will put you in touch

        Cheers Glenn

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Robmsharp View Post
          I know Stag Classics at Alton in Hampshire do the conversion but I'm not sure where they get their parts from.
          Contacted Paul supply and Fit only £4000.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by DJT View Post
            It is (Clive) Tate and (Russell) Lewis who developed the conversion. Clive only does sell & fit, but I believe it can be sourced and fitted through Faversham Classics and, maybe, EJ Ward. The kit is not available for owners to purchase.

            For the money you get a fully reconditioned gearbox, reconditioned torque converter, bespoke bell housing, bespoke tailshaft to drive the Stag speedo, a new prop shaft, bespoke gearbox mounting, modified gear change, and a full guarantee.

            It has been done as a DIY project (Iíve done it) but it isnít straightforward. You need:

            Gearbox (modify pump housing), adapter plate, modified BW35 bellhousing, modified torque converter, BW65 propshaft, modified gearchange, fabricated gearbox mounting. You also need to sort out the inhibitor and reverse light switches. Sort out a speedo drive - either develop and electronic conversion for the Stag speedo or purchase an electronic speedo and sensor. A batch of Stag electronic speedos were commissioned by a SOC member, but I donít know if there are any left.

            Would I do it again? Probably not. I did it as a challenge, but having now done so, I appreciate the value of the Ďproperí conversion.
            Thanks DJT when you see it like that then £3600 is not bad. I guess if I was using the car for as it was intended a GT then I could justify the spend.

            Comment


              #7
              have a look here I even posted a drawing for the adaptor plate. https://socforum.com/forum/forum/sta...zf4-conversion

              Cheers Glenn

              Comment


                #8
                the Tate and Lewis conversion sold by other outlets used to be supplied by T and L but l think l am correct in saying they now only do supply and fit themselves and no longer supply others. something to do with vat if too many are produced.
                Phil

                Comment


                  #9
                  Straight from the horses mouth so to speak and copied from the Tate & Lewis Facebook page for those who cannot access,

                  https://www.facebook.com/4speedauto/

                  For those enquiring about this conversion, which is designed to replace the standard Automatic Borg Warner 35 or 65 Gearbox, fitted to the Triumph Stag. The following gives you an outline of what we supply, and how to order.

                  The conversion is a ZF 4 speed gearbox with lock up torque convertor. This has a top gear ratio similar to the manual gearbox, so improves fuel consumption.
                  The higher ratio, together with almost seamless gear changes makes for a more comfortable driving throughout the range.

                  The conversion uses the standard auto gear leaver so the interior of the car is unchanged. The gearbox drives the standard speedo which is designed to give the correct speed reading

                  At the time of going to press (October 2017) the cost of the conversion is £3600.00 to supply and fit. VAT is not applicable.
                  Whilst we always try to accomodate our customers needs we have recently adopted a supply and fit only policy. This has come about due to the disproportionately high amount of problems encountered with supply only sales.
                  We also have a preference to sell direct to the end user.


                  To place an order for the kit, you will need to email Clive Tate, at clive@stag.org.uk with an order request. Clive will then allocate you a place on the waiting list. (Yes there usually is one as we limit the number of sales to stay below the VAT threshold).
                  When a kit becomes available he will inform you by return email. At this point you will be asked to confirm the order by making payment, and arranging for fitting.

                  If you require any further information, please contact me Russell Lewis at russelllewis@stag.org.uk for technical advice, or Clive for order information.

                  Russell Lewis


                  Nigel
                  Nigel
                  1976 MK2 TV8 ZF - 4 HP-22 Auto, Hard Top Inca Yellow, Minilite Replicas, Stagdad Pump

                  Comment


                    #10
                    [QUOTE=Seaking;n758018]have a look here I even posted a drawing for the adaptor plate. https://socforum.com/forum/forum/sta...zf4-conversion

                    Cheers Glenn[/QU

                    Would I need an adapter plate if bolting to rover engine?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Depends on which Rover engine you use I am no expert but the Land Rover disco used a zf4 Try https://ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk they should be able to assist with which Rover engines.

                      Cheers Glenn

                      Comment


                        #12
                        That expensive. Do you want to keep the Auto box as my present gearbox swap will come out a little less and that is for a Tremec T56 magnum 6 speed box. If i wanted to go auto i would be looking at a modern box with more gears. It not that hard to do the conversions. Then you could have paddle shifts.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by bullstarz View Post
                          That expensive. Do you want to keep the Auto box as my present gearbox swap will come out a little less and that is for a Tremec T56 magnum 6 speed box. If i wanted to go auto i would be looking at a modern box with more gears. It not that hard to do the conversions. Then you could have paddle shifts.
                          Yes I would like to keep the auto gearbox, what would you suggest?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I did look into some of the auto boxs. there is a BMW that works as an auto but is a computer controlled manual. The box is cheap but the after market ECU isnt but it will control the complete engine and do the engine blips when changing down. A nice system

                            Otherwise without much research on auto boxes something like
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E60-E...sAAOSwI8lZ94LW

                            Thats a 6 speed which will need the BMW ECU but should be relatively easy to fool to think is was in 530i.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X