Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exhaust subframe bushes - rubber or poly?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust subframe bushes - rubber or poly?

I've just replaced the stainless exhaust on my Stag with a new one by Double S. One thing I found was that the rubber bushes on the rear subframe mounting were completely cattled after only two years.

I wonder if I should use the poly Superflex ones and whether they would last longer? They are quite expensive at 72 for a car set from Chtis Witor.

Has anyone any experience to share?

Richard
    Mabel is a white 1972 Mk1, TV8, ZF 4HP-22 auto,
    2016 RBRR finisher. 400 mile C2C 21/22 April 2018!

Richard. That is expensive if it is just for the bushes. It seems that rubber components are the ones that are most likely to be rubbish these days, but there are usually also good ones available if you can find them. The rubber ones I have, have been there for years. They look a bit tired, but are still doing their job. I think it might be worth trying a different supplier for some rubber ones first if you want to save a considerable sum of money. However, the poly ones will almost certainly last a very long time.
    That doesn't help much, does it!
    Mike.

Comment

Richard

i have just bought the same poly bushes,i got mine from Robsport cheaper than 72

Dave
      73 mk 1/2 now gone to the dark side BLUE

Comment

Paddock's also have them cheaper at 51.

I have got to the place in my life where I find there are some jobs I don't want to do - replacing those rear subframe exhaust hangers is one of them. It's an absolute pig of a job, the only worse exhaust I've done is fitting a new system to my Alvis TD21 and adjusting it so it dioesn't vibrate against the chassis. I want to do the Stag now that I have just replaced the exhaust and not have to do it again for several years. If the poly bushes gat a good review I'll use them along with stainless bolts and spacers.

Richard
        Last edited by mole42; 8th November 2018, 12:48.
        Mabel is a white 1972 Mk1, TV8, ZF 4HP-22 auto,
        2016 RBRR finisher. 400 mile C2C 21/22 April 2018!

Comment

Originally posted by mole42 View Post
          I've just replaced the stainless exhaust on my Stag with a new one by Double S. One thing I found was that the rubber bushes on the rear subframe mounting were completely cattled after only two years.

I wonder if I should use the poly Superflex ones and whether they would last longer? They are quite expensive at 72 for a car set from Chtis Witor.

Has anyone any experience to share?

Richard
          If these are the big ones that join the outer ends of the sub frame to the body I replaced my old rubber ones with Superflex some months ago. I understand that Superflex from Chris Witor have a similar hardness to the original rubber, unlike Polybush which is harder and not ideal for this application, They also come in stainless steel mountings. Might be a bit pricey but it seems current rubber offerings have a habit of failing quite quickly. John

Comment

Working...
          X