Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my Mallard Stag repainted in MG Mallard colour?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my Mallard Stag repainted in MG Mallard colour?

I had the bonnet of my -73 Federal Stag repainted. The Stag have been repainted in USA at some point, and I can see when I remove something that the color does not match. I gave the painter the code (106) and they said if it did not match they would try to adjust it. When I came to pick it up they said that they were not able to match to the color on the bonnet and suggested to repaint top of the fenders and fade between the two colors.

I immediately felt the color was way to blue. Upon comparing to the car (and consulting my girlfriend - I am red/green colorblind) it turns out the color is not right at all. I had planned to repaint the engine bay myself, but I need to know the right color first.

I know it is hard to tell from pictures, but I am thinking someone in USA found a mix for Mallard but from MG and went with that. Is the MG color more green? It looks that way in pictures. I also must admit that I like the color as it is and do not want the car to be more blue like the 106 color.
    Kirsti & Ian in Norway
    1973 Stag Mk2 (ex-USA), Mallard Blue, TV8 engine, Manual O/D

Try looking at

Restorations, Major Overhauls, Conversions, Modified stags section

Finally some paint. WARNING. some of you may not like this. Joel has his painted mallard

Cheers Glenn

Comment

Originally posted by Seaking View Post
      Joel has his painted mallard

Comment

Ian.
        I had a similar problem with my Carmine red stag, as no two of them ever seem to be quite the same colour. I was directed to an automotive paint supplier not far away, which had a hand held instrument that was able to measure any colour, and then give the formula needed to mix an exact match. The match was perfect. I feel sure that there must be a company somewhere near you who will be able to do the same for you.
        Mike.

Comment

Yes as Mike says that hand held instrument called a spectrometer is probably your best option, the other is to laboriously trawl through colour chips. It could have been repainted in any colour not necessarily even a British car colour, truly a minefield for a paint shop to try to match

Comment

It's difficult to tell from the picture but mine is Mallard 106, and many years ago bought a rattle can of paint and it was more green than blue. Discovered there is certainly two BL shades of Mallard, the Triumph Mallard is more blue, so it is certainly possible yours has been resprayed and is not the Triumph Mallard 106.
            Mike.
            74 Triumph Stag (Best Modified 2007), 02 Maserati 4200 Coupe, 17 BMW 140i

Comment

I have to say that this is a worry for me as well. I found some paint codes for ď 106 mallardĒ and got a rattle can from the paint supplier in that code. It seemed too green for me but comparing it to an original area in the boot it seemed a good match.

but..

i cant find a specifically different code for triumph vs mg mallard and itís bothering me.

I dont know if this this is possible but if someone could get an original area of mallard scanned and shared the results it may help to answer the question. Unfortunately every inch of my car is stripped, I donít have any original left..
              Terry Hunt, Wilmington Delaware

www.terryhunt.co.uk

Comment

Wait.. I may have original mallard under my tonneau cover. Iíll work on that. Give me a month or so

www.terryhunt.co.uk

Comment

Terry,

Have a look at this colour chart:

A834F406-0D6A-4CDE-B60D-D0254AB6A08A.jpeg

And here: http://www.v8register.net/FilesV8WN/...-V8NOTE526.pdf
                  Last edited by DJT; 10th November 2018, 07:54.
                  Dave
                  1974 Mk2, ZF Auto, 3.45 Diff, Datsun Driveshafts. Stag owner/maintainer since 1989.

Comment

Ok. I found both on paintref.com and the codes are different so thatís a bit more reassuring.

I still need to have mine scanned as the ppg code is not available in my preferred paint line ( PPG type DCC) Which I find a bit strange as it is available in the cheaper ppg line..

My plan is to use the cheaper line for the interior and underside and the DCC on the outside. I have done this before. My supplier was going to scan the cheaper line and make the DCC up to match that, I will however have him scan the tonneau as well for a crosscheck.. if I can get any ďnumbersĒ I will share on the forum.

terry

www.terryhunt.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by DJT View Post
                      I see that code 106 is called Mallard GREEN here. That adds complexity to the case and makes it more probable that someone picked the wrong colour in the past.
                      Kirsti & Ian in Norway
                      1973 Stag Mk2 (ex-USA), Mallard Blue, TV8 engine, Manual O/D

Comment

Working...
                      X