Smiths oil gauge - silly question I expect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smiths oil gauge - silly question I expect

With a Smiths oil gauge and the clear white pipe feed, do you need to get the air out of the piping? I am thinking that air gets compressed and looking at the pipe, the oil is in segments so surely can't be accurate?
    Do you need to bleed the pipe by loosening at the gauge end and if so, the air is expelled, what stops the oil running back down the pipe?
    I am guessing the reading would be lower than pure oil all the way
    Thanks
    Andrew
    Yellow Rules OK

Leaving air in the pipe will simply make the gauge slower to respond to pressure changes. As there is no flow out of the gauge end, at a steady state, the pressure will be the same all the way along the pipe, regardless of whether it contains oil or air. However, if the pressure increases, then the air will have to compress, which means oil must flow into the pipe from the engine end. Normally, this is a very restricted port, so this will be (relatively) slow. Myself, I carefully loosened the connection at the gauge end while the engine was running, and surrounded it with an absorbent cloth. When the air was out, and the first trace of oil appeared, I tightened the connection.
    '72 Manual O/d Saffron Yellow

Comment

Pressure is pressure regardless of the fluid type (liquid or gas). The gas (air) is compressible but when there is no flow the pressure will be constant along the pipe to the gauge.

Comment

Thanks guys
        David, just out of interest, did the oil run back down after the bleed? I do now appreciate it shouldn’t affect the pressure reading
        cheers
        Andrew
        Yellow Rules OK

Comment

I found this topic of interest as I've been toying with the idea of moving my oil pressure gauge up into the dash panel and replacing the clock which no longer works. My oil pressure gauge was fitted by the previous owner in the mid 1990's but for some reason he chose to mount it on the parcel shelf underneath the glove box meaning it cannot easily be seen from the driving seat. I had concerns that if I disconnected it I might have problems getting it to work again. Plus I'm not even sure how long the pipe is and whether I'd need to replace it in order to reach the dash. I assume they are a standard bore on these things-it's a Smiths gauge. If it needed replacement what is access like at the engine end?

Richard

Comment

Try this thread from post 18 onwards!

https://socforum.com/forum/forum/sta...pressure-gauge
            If you can't say something nice, don't say it !

Comment

Andrew.
              The oil could only run back to the engine if air could get in at the gauge end. Otherwise, a vacuum would be caused, and as we know, Nature abhors one of them. Also, the bore of the capillary tube is too small to allow air to travel back up it. Once bled, the pipe should stay full.
              Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by dasadrew View Post
                Try this thread from post 18 onwards!

https://socforum.com/forum/forum/sta...pressure-gauge
                Thanks for the link Drew. The fact that 022Dave had an issue with his oil pressure gauge pipe coming adrift and emptying the sump while driving along is the thing that rather puts me off tinkering with mine. It does work perfectly but I'd still prefer it to be mounted in the dash which is where I'd definitely put it if I ever had cause to fit a new one. I think for now I'll leave well alone.

Richard

Comment

Thank you all, very interesting and helpful, as always
                  Andrew
                  Yellow Rules OK

Comment

I got the air out of mine Andrew by not tightening the joint too tight at the receiving end resulting over a long period of time with the dash slowly going a very dark brown around the OPG!
                    Mike

Comment

Didnt think of that Mike, great idea as I have a spare dash
                      Last edited by Andrew S; 9th January 2019, 18:16.
                      Yellow Rules OK

Comment

I think the only reason that we are discussing this because the pipe is translucent and you can see the air/oil bubbles. If all the pipes were black (like mine) or metal, none of us would ever obsess about it ;-).
                        Chris
                        Magenta Stag TV8 MOD

Comment

Working...
                        X