Question about jack shaft when salli timing chains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about jack shaft when salli timing chains

The ROM and the engine service notes say to rotate the jack shaft so the line on it is slightly angled down to the right of horizontal. Since its got gears that mesh with the distributor why is this so critical?
    Sujit

Why do you need to know ?

Micky

Comment

curiosity as I'll be rebuilding an engine once the heads are back from the shop. the distributer can be adjusted for timing. I'm wondering if has to do with that. if it is off I may not be able to adjust the distributer in one direction or the other

Comment

It is because of the number of teeth on the two gears.

I can't remember without looking but there are more teeth on one gear than the other and you can end up with the rotor arm half way between the contacts in the distributor cap.
        By the time you have tried to twist the distributor enough to get it timed correctly you can run out of adjustment on the slots on the distributor body and end up filing the slots wider or having to move the plug leads around by one position to get some useable setting.

I will let you guess how I know this!

Neil
        Neil
        TV8, efi, fast road cams and home built manifolds. 246bhp 220lbft torque

Comment

Sujit.
          On the slant four cylinder engines, it is essential to get that line in the correct position. If you don't, you could finish up with the jackshaft in a position where it would not be possible to rotate the distributor sufficiently to get the ignition timing correct, and bolt it down.
          With the Stag, as there are twice as many lobes on the distributor cam, it will almost certainly be possible to set the distributor in a position where the fixing bolts can be fitted. If you are in a position to fit the sprocket correctly, you might as well do so, but it is not critical.
          Mike.

Comment

makes sense. thx. would have been nice if the ROM mentioned it.

Comment

ROM is only a procedural manual about how to dismantle, test and fit new parts. It is not necessary to know why a procedure is done in order to do it so long as the book is followed!
              Mabel is a white 1972 Mk1, TV8, ZF 4HP-22 auto,
              2016 RBRR finisher. 400 mile C2C 21/22 April 2018!

Comment

Working...
              X