Dual Speaker in Dash

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Speaker in Dash

Anybody know the secret of fitting the Retrosound 5in by 7 in speaker in the dashboard, without having to carve out a section of the fresh air vents?

Good afternoon Richard,
    I wanted to do the same, and purchased a 5 x 7 speaker from Classic Car Stereo of Bradford. They advised that they knew of Stag owners who had fitted one in place of the original one.
    They advised you had to remove the glove box lid, then the glove box moulding itself, and slide the speaker in from the passenger side of the car.
    HOWEVER.....it simply would not fit into the space. My problem was the wiring looms running across the space. I simply could not budge them far enough forward towards the front of the car to allow the 5 x 7 to
    fit into the available space.This, plus part of the metal duct of the centre vent being at an angle effectively scuppered all attempts to get the thing into the space. So, I decided to use one of their dual voice coil speaker "boxes" instead.
    As the Stag seats are too low at the back (and front) to hide the box underneath, I have resigned myself to having to place the box on the floor behind the passenger seat. It just fits in. Which won't be a problem, as there's only me, and carrying passengers would be a rare occurrence.The box is quite large, at 230 x 230 x90mm, but I really didn't want to start cutting holes in either front or rear panels.
    Fair play to Classic Car Stereo, they did give me credit back for the 5 x 7, as I'd kept the box, packing etc clean and intact, plus the 5 x 7 speaker was undamaged.
    I was at Faversham Classics a couple of weeks ago, and Kevin was fitting a 5 x 7 dual voice coil into another Stag's dash. He was successful.....but they know the cars intimately, which I do not.!
    Maybe a phone call to them might help ?
    Best of luck.
    Neil.
    '77 Tahiti Blue, Spax, MoD, poly-bushed.

Comment

As above, mine fitted via the removed glove box, a tight squeeze. Mine is an original RH drive - not sure if that makes any difference to the clearances in the internals.
      20min job.

Alan

Comment

I fitted one after removing the glovebox. It was a really tight fit and the speaker required no fixing as it was wedged quite firmly in place against the angled vent conduit. I did have to move the wiring loom to the side to get it in the gap.

This a link to a recent thread where we discussed the same topic;

https://socforum.com/forum/forum/sta...4756-car-radio

Andy S

Comment

I also managed it through the glove box but although quite tight it still rattled. I didn't solve the rattle until I removed the dash to sort out the heater matrix and screwed it to the dash.

Comment

Thanks to all for info.

I have fitted mine with spacers to dash but vent grille wont fit flush.
            I will try wedging it instead, as this does appear to be an approved method!

Comment

Wedging worked for me - used the firm but slippery foam used in packing a tablet holder.

Comment

Working...
              X