Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rev Counter

Hi All,

i have had the stag (mk1) for for about a year and a half now. When I first got it the rev counter worked fine, it then developed a fault (it would jump massively) and I bought another used one for a mk1, about 6 months back. It has been fine but recently it has been over reading by about 500 revs. When it first started it did this for the first 2-3 miles then was fine. It has electronic ignition so this is an issue for the mk1 rev counter, but why would it be fine then not? Has anyone has this in the past? Any help much appreciated.

Neil

You most likely will need to do this conversion for the electronic ignition. I had melted wire insulation on mine before I did the conversion.

https://www.spiyda.com/smiths-rvi-rv...ion-board.html

Comment

Thanks..... think I might have to go down that route.

Am I right in thinking then that it breaks down the components of the RVI tachometer over a period of time, meaning that they are ok at the start but fail over time?

Comment

This may, or may not, help. I do know I ran my old Mk1 Stag on Lumenition for 16 years (60,000 miles) on lumenition with no problems with the original tachometer.

E91BD01D-AAED-44AC-A0B6-82FA790DBC06.jpeg
        049C7CB7-8ABC-4164-A9D8-8FAA4CCDAAD6.jpeg
        Last edited by DJT; 3rd June 2019, 11:05.
        Dave
        1974 Mk2, ZF Auto, 3.45 Diff, Datsun Driveshafts. Stag owner/maintainer since 1989.

Comment

Originally posted by Swifty75 View Post
          Thanks..... think I might have to go down that route.

Am I right in thinking then that it breaks down the components of the RVI tachometer over a period of time, meaning that they are ok at the start but fail over time?
          The current supplying the coil passes through the Mk1 RVI tacho whereas the RVC only needs to sense the change in current. The amount of damage to a RVI setup would depend upon how much extra current is being drawn by the new electronic ignition compared to the old points setup.

Comment

Could you use a Mk2 rev counter inners and use the Mk1 face plate

Dave

73 mk 1/2 now gone to the dark side BLUE

Comment

Originally posted by new to this View Post
              Could you use a Mk2 rev counter inners and use the Mk1 face plate

Dave
              The screws holding the face plate differ. On the Mk1 they are at 3 and 9 o’clock relative to the needle pivot. On the Mk2 they are 12 and 6 o’clock. Not impossible, but not easy either.
              Dave
              1974 Mk2, ZF Auto, 3.45 Diff, Datsun Driveshafts. Stag owner/maintainer since 1989.

Comment

Originally posted by Hughesy View Post
                You most likely will need to do this conversion for the electronic ignition. I had melted wire insulation on mine before I did the conversion.

https://www.spiyda.com/smiths-rvi-rv...ion-board.html

This is the best solution ,its where I sent mine,did a really good honest job in a timely manner after being badly let down and messed about by The Ga.ge shop.

Comment

Originally posted by maverick View Post

This is the best solution ,its where I sent mine,did a really good honest job in a timely manner after being badly let down and messed about by The Ga.ge shop.
                  It is quite easy to do yourself. There are instructional videos at the bottom of the linked page.

Comment

Originally posted by Hughesy View Post

It is quite easy to do yourself. There are instructional videos at the bottom of the linked page.
                    Yes it is fairly straight forward and the instructions are good,but I had additional issues with the original board.

Comment

I fitted spyda kit to mine about 3 years ago and have been very happy with it

Comment

Just an update.

I had a spare RVC stag mk2 rev counter, as I was going to convert the last time it went wrong. Thought I would attempt a proper fix this time. I took both rev counters apart and swapped the internals and wired it back in. It now works!

thanks for the help and advice.

Neil

Comment

Working...
                        X