Head skimming tips & tricks?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head skimming tips & tricks?

I'll be taking my heads to the skimmers this week. They have done Stag heads before but is there anything I should particularly ask them to beware of, or anything that is good to mention before they wind the cut on? A brief measurement suggests that the heads will only need a light cut, I'm hoping that is all.
    Mabel is a white 1972 Mk1, TV8, ZF 4HP-22 auto,
    2016 RBRR finisher. 400 mile C2C 21/22 April 2018!

If there is anything you think you need to tell them they can't be much cop at what they do.
    Your wife is right, size matters. 3.9RV8

Comment

For what it's worth, I think you can't take anything for granted whoever is doing the work and you should be cautious, I would certainly mention the heads are close to the limit and to take off the least amount they can get away with.

Cheers
      Steve
      sigpic

Comment

Did you have the heads skimmed on the last rebuild ?

Dave
        73 mk 1/2 now gone to the dark side BLUE

Comment

Not the last time Dave, they measured flat on a faceplate. This time I'm being ultra-cautious and making sure the heads are flat by skimming as well as measuring the block faces for flatness. This time I had to encourage the heads to come off which might have left a little distortion to contend with.
          Something encouraged a gasket to let go after only 25,000 miles and I would like to be sure I found out what it is. The BGA gaskets seem to be in good condition except where there is evidence of leakage.

As they say where I'm from - belt, braces and a piece of baler twine will stop your trousers falling down!
          Last edited by mole42; 8th July 2019, 20:56.

Comment

Where were the gaskets showing signs of leakage?

This is obviously the bit that needs closest examination.

I am surprised your heads needed encouraging to come off as all the previous examples I have come across, the heads just fall off. Unless of course the BGA gaskets have some sort of sticky surface which I have never come across before on Stag head gaskets.

Neil
            Neil
            TV8, efi, fast road cams and home built manifolds. 246bhp 220lbft torque

Comment

There's a consensus on here that, if an engine has a history of short head gasket life, check the block face for flatness. No amount of head skimming will make it better.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by flying farmer View Post
                Where were the gaskets showing signs of leakage?

This is obviously the bit that needs closest examination.
                No8 here looks a tad leaky....

Stag LH head.JPG

I am surprised your heads needed encouraging to come off as all the previous examples I have come across, the heads just fall off. Unless of course the BGA gaskets have some sort of sticky surface which I have never come across before on Stag head gaskets.

Neil
                The heads were loose on the block, but both had a single stud that siezed in the head, I had to saw them off after using the rope trick to get anough room for the blade. Last time both heads came off without any trouble at all.

Desperate measures.jpg

I will be in the garage again this afternoon with my straight-edge and the feeler guages to check the block, especially around No8.

Richard

Comment

the only clusterf*** that my machine shop fell into was trying to skim back local corrosion on the head face which blank against the dead end coolant holes on the block.

Took a pair of heads with shed loads of life in them down to their last skim.

Unhappy was I
                  Stags and Range Rover Classics - I must be a loony

Comment

Ouch!

Comment

I'm fairly sure that I've found the source of the head gasket leakage:

Corrosion.jpg

Does anyone know a good TIG welder? The other head is nowhere near as bad as this.

I tried a quick check with a straightedge and a 2 thou feeler guage, I couldn't find anywhere near the rear of the block where I could get slide it under, I'll check further next time.

Richard
                      Last edited by mole42; 9th July 2019, 17:59.

Comment

That does look a bit close to the fire ring, definitely worth welding up.
                        Header tanks - you can't beat a bit of bling.

Comment

One of my spare heads looked a lot like that before I welded it up, but I haven't had it skimmed yet after I welded it.

Richardthestags experience with head skimming has always been my greatest fear, fortunately it has never happened to me!

I am surprised you had two head studs seize that hard after such a short period of time. Did you forget to use some sort of anti seize compound? I recently had to remove a head on my Estate as I couldn't remove the water transfer housing and that came off easily after nearly 10 years.

Neil
                          Neil

Comment

I am surprised you had two head studs seize that hard after such a short period of time. Did you forget to use some sort of anti seize compound? I recently had to remove a head on my Estate as I couldn't remove the water transfer housing and that came off easily after nearly 10 years.

Neil
                            I don't remember what anti-sieze treatment I used last time but it obviously wasn't good enough. What do you use Neil?

Richard

Comment

On the ones I have dismantled I used some of the copper grease stuff, but it does get rather stiff after 10 years.

For the last few years I have been using the ceramic grease used on diesel glow plugs but I haven't had the heads off any of these engines so I can't comment on its efficiency yet!

Neil
                              Neil

Comment

Working...
                              X